Spurs possible

Predoggg

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
South Carolina
I was wondering if it is possible to the spurs breaking through at 7 week old New Hampshire breed? I think I have seen them on the Silver Laced Wyondotte too.
I have seen on 2 off the baby chickens like a nail tip on the legs. We are not 100% sure about the breed and their gender.

Here are the pictures of the 3 ones in question. All 3 are a different breed. First picture is from what we think a silver laced Wyondotte, second picture from a New Hampshire and last one is what we think the Hatchery easter egger breed. All 3 are 7 weeks old and also have very big legs (compared to the hens of that hatch).

Attachments

• Spur1.jpg
    Spur1.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Spur2.jpg
    Spur2.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Spur3.jpg
    Spur3.jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 5
I cou
Even with males the spurs don't start really growing until they are older.
If you suspect males, at 7 weeks the combs and wattles should tell the tale....
...except maybe on the SLW, they can be hard to sex this young.
I couldn’t tell my RIR was male until he was 5 months old. Lol you’re an expert I see.

About the spurs, I wouldn’t worry about it, they don’t really grow out until the guys are a few months old, and in no way a problem.

If they have huge feet, I would say they’re boys. The spurs also seem like an indicator. If I wasn’t told when my cock, Sexless, was younger, that feet didn’t really mean anything bc there are hens with big feet, I could have gendered him WAY earlier. (Not that I’m complaining, but he could have had a better name).

Thank you for the feedbacks. We are not worried about the spurs but will have to re-home the roosters. We will keep an eye on it. The ones in questions are the ones hard to sex (SLW, New Hampshire and Hatchery Egger) and also fast maturing.

Back
Top Bottom