SPW with huge, droopy crop- UPDATE

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
This is my second time posting this, since no one answered my first. My Silver penciled Wyandotte pullet has been ill for over a week now, and though the others are still fine, she is getting worse. I don't know what is wrong, or what to do about it.
She is 8 months old, as are all of my chickens, and she free ranges all day in addition to feed and table scraps. I can't remember when we first noticed it (a lot of things have been going on recently-lucky I remember my own name!) but while I was feeding the chickens I noticed that one of the SPW looked funny. Her chest was... hanging... more like dangling down in front of her and wobbled side to side as she walked. I watched her for quite a while, even tried to catch her. She seemed to feel fine. I let it go for a few days, keeping an eye on her. I looked up everything it could be, I put a post up here, and I watched her.
It has gotten bigger, droopier, and more worrisome. We have captured her several times to look at her, and although the closest thing I could find to what is wrong was an impacted crop, hers is mushy instead of hard. She does eat, and until today seemed to have just as much energy as all the others. Today she looks bad. she came out to eat, then went back into the pen and just stood there. She cant run because of her huge crop, and she just doesn't seem well.
I don't know what to do. I cannot afford a vet bill at this time. Right now with our lease expiring and us having to move I have to save every penny. We are lucky we could find someone who can look after the chickens for us while we try to find a place to live where we can keep them.
If anyone has an idea of what it might be, please let me know. I don't want her to suffer.
we couldn't get her to stand for the photo, but here she is.
29884_spw_1.jpg

29884_spw_2.jpg

29884_spw_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is an impacted crop. Go up to the search button, at the top of the page, and type in, "impacted crop."
That may help you. I'm sorry, I have no experience in that area, and am just guessing.

I think Ruth had a thread on surgical treatment of impacted crop. When you do the search add "ruth" to it. It was a great thread with step-by-step instructions and pics.

Thanks! that is really helpful. When I first heard "surgical" I was a little nervous, but draining with a needle I can do. Tomorrow I will get a needle and try draining her balloon thing. Hopefully it works and she will be ok.
And while I considered the molasses thing, I think if she were poisoned, she would not have lasted this long.
I will post an update when I find out how much it helps.

I'm just now seeing this thread. How is your hen? Is she still alive? If so, here's a link to my thread on crop surgery:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=229796

I think she's past trying the olive oil and massage treatment and probably needs to have the crop cleaned out right away. But before you do surgery, put her in isolation without food or water for overnight and check the crop in the morning. If it still looks and feels like the picture, you'll need to do the surgery.

UPDATE:
We were all set to do surgery on our poor hen... we took her out of solitary and looked her over and she seemed miraculously better. Not perfect, but much better. She was more alert, she felt normal, she almost looke normal. for the first time in a few days she was hungry and thirsty, so we decided to give her another day... and then she just died. Quite sudden- one moment she was back to her old self, the next, sprawled across the floor.
I feel aweful that I didn't do anything to help her... I hope she didn't suffer much. She wasn't one of our named pets and was always a bit standoffish, but we liked her all the same.

Back
Top Bottom