casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Hatched in incubator and being raised by hand. Fed at least 3 times a day, but some days I was too lazy to weigh before and after feedings.

01-18-2016 - Day Zero

Hatched at 12 grams

01-22-2016 - Day Four

Four days - 18.96

01-23-2016 - Day Five

Weight before first feeding - 21.56
Weight after 1st feeding - 25 grams

Weight before second feeding - 24.8 grams
Weight after second feeding - 27.72 grams

01-24-2016 - Day Six

Weight before first feeding 22.15 grams
Weight after first feeding 27.98 grams

Weight before second feeding - 26.65 grams
Weight after second feeding - 30.06 grams

Weight before third feeding - 27.7 grams
Weight after third feeding - 31.7 grams

01-25-2016 - Day Seven

Weight before first feeding - 26.45 grams
Weight after first feeding - 32.35 grams

Weight before second feeding - 29.51 grams
Weight after second feeding - 37.44 grams

Weight before third feeding - 34.81 grams
Weight after third feeding - 36.89 grams

01-26-2016 - Day Eight

Weight before first feeding - 29.44 grams
Weight after first feeding - 39.65 grams

Weight before second or third feeding - 37.48
Weight after second or third feeding - 41.59

01-27-2016 - Day Nine

Weight before first feeding - 35.32 grams
Weight after first feeding - 47.66 grams

Got lazy and didn't record more weights.

01-28-2016 - Day Ten

Weight before first feeding - 41.21 grams
Weight after first feeding - 51.24 grams

Weight after second feeding - 58.03 grams

-Kathy

Last edited:
A squab/sqeaker should about double weight Every day until feathering in or couple weeks and old.. Fledglings at three weeks (mine anyway and I just feed breeders layer).
I've heard cottage cheese good start for incubator babies, but I don't do hand raising, I use fosters or parents. Better for birds, as a weak start and raising can make a weak bird, if flying n or stressed ever. I've been told your setting itself up a heart ache as they'll supposedly not do good for too long of life, but only done it once n ringnecks kept fed n warm (they'll feed etc anything n time at any age as long as you put it in their nest.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how much weight they do gain when raised by parents instead of by hand. If what you're saying is true, my five day old should 384 grams. I agree that they should gain weight quickly, but I don't think I've seen one double each day. :D

-Kathy

Frankly, if the parents cant raise the squabs, they are inferior. It is analogous to a dog who want nurse her pups.

I don't breed dogs, but I do breed horses, and if Ihad mare that refused to nurse her foal, I would sell her. I don't "breed" pigeons either, but if I did, and the parents refused to feed their young, they would get culled.

FYI, I'm raising this one because it the egg rolled out of the nest and the nest was destroyed.

-Kathy

Sometimes young pigeons don't get hang of first time to three. I had a great pair that the first time a baby kept getting fed feathers seemingly. After that one choked to death, the pair became great parents.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom