Square feet per bird in cold climate

Quote:
That's what we're doing. Putting many vents along the top edges of the walls. Then we will also have lots of windows (5 total) down lower to have a nice cross-breeze in the summer plus plenty of light in the winter.

The more space you can give them indoors (for winter purposes) the better. Many folks on this site recommend a minimum of 4 sq. ft of housing space, but if you can give them more then by all means do it!! Folks who don't get winters can get by with less with no problems, because their birds truly are only inside to lay/roost year-round.
My girls had about 8 sq. ft (taking feeders/waterers out of the equation) of indoor space last winter, and they STILL were quite cranky by winter's end (and I opened my pop door every day to give them opportunities to go out). Folks who have tight spaces often end up with feather picking issues and even cannibalism over winter time. Let's face it, if you were stuck inside with your entire family all winter, you'd all fare better if you lived in a 1600 sq. ft home rather than a motel room, where you're in each others' faces all the time.
Ask anyone who has had both at different times - ample room or limited space - through a snowy winter - there's a noticeable difference in chickens' behavior.
Adding roosts, shelves and such can help as a boredom deterrent. Covered runs and windblocks can help tons in winter time too. Chickens do okay if they're able to get out and about all winter, but icy winds aren't good, and most chickens don't want anything to do with snow.
As for desiring a small coop in winter - NO WAY. You'd still want ample floor space. A huddle box within the coop or something similar can be used in those cases.

Think that the rule I've generally heard is 4 sq. ft. of coop space per bird IF you also have an attached run with 10 sq. ft. of run space per bird. If the birds won't go out in the run during the winter (i.e. they are confined to the coop portion for long periods -- say several days at a time or more), then you probably need a lot more space inside the coop.

For birds confined to a closed coop (no run or "free range" access) for long periods or permanently, think that the rule of thumb I've heard is a minimum of 10 sq. ft. per bird.

I am in Anchorage AK. -20. I built a 4x4x2.5 tall coop. It has 8 foot of 2 inch roof ventilation and holds 5 BO hens. I insulated 3 walls for them and am using a deep litter method with no heat, a light to keep the days 8 hours long. I was told to make it tight, ventilate high and not to over insulate as the condensation will hang low. It has under run with a floor poop door, ( I am rethinking this), and they will be allowed out if they want. The only problem that I am having is they refuse to sit on the roost in the insulated area, but instead on the narrower poop door ring, it is in the floor. I may have to remove it to train them right. But it amounts to 3.2 square feet per bird. They are all the same mellow tempered bird and from the same hatch and we have had no issues with over crowding yet. They all attempt to sleep in the same spot. It is rather funny actually.

one consideration we had after our first winter was that I wanted to be able to go into the coop and run and have space to sit and "visit" my chickens when they won't free range due to snow cover. I sit on a bucket filled with feed, but it's nice to have a bit more space to be able to do that. Also, we have increased their space vertically, by putting a shelf by a window that they can get up to and they like to go under the nest boxes, etc.

I think you can't have too much space.

Anybody else up north have input? My current plans are 12x8 for 16 birds which comes out to 6sf each.....hope it'll be enough if I also give them daytime access to a covered run that'll be about 12x12, and free-range if they want.

Last edited:
I live in the north,-10, I keep birds limited to outside access run that is about 8' x 8' for the winter and they seldom go out..... I built my henhouse with gambrell style roof with entry centered on one end and large ( tilt in at top window) on opposite end. The footprint is 8' x 12' which is 96 sf, but i increased floor space by putting 30"wide shelves cleated to the walls, the full length (12') on both sides at 30" off the floor, this left a 36" open path down the center and provided an additional 60 sf. of floor space. I placed roosts staggered 12" and 24" above the shelves. I have ( 3 ) 12" x 12" roof vents at the peak of the roof. nest boxes are above the shelves, and feeders and waterers are suspended from underside of shelves 15" out from the outer walls to prevent soiling from above. The henhouse is insulated in walls and ceiling. Within this space I was able to house 26-30 large foul hens and roosters comfortably, with no picking, cannibalism, or frostbite. Appropriate incandescent lighting was provided on a timer to keep them laying thru the winter except when I deliberately rested them late winter to condition them to produce hatching eggs for spring. All in all I have been very happy with this setup.

Bramhapapa, I have a couple of questions about your chicken house discription. I really Like what you discribe. I live in Canada, so I am guessing it is colder here than there.

I am wondering what your roof vents look like? are they just square boxes that are raise up like a coupula? with a roof and covered in wire?

The 30" wide shelves with the roosts a foot or two above them, do the birds actually walk on the shelves? or are they more like dropping boards? if they walk on the shelves, don't the birds on the roosts poop on them?

Thanks MM

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom