Square feet per chicken in run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hopefulloflove, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Ok, when you say 10 square feet per bird, does that mean vertically also? I mean is that just ground area? Cause that would be one monster run!! [​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

just the ground. But my advice-make it tall enough so you don't have to stoop.

3. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Yeah, it's going to be 8 foot tall, but if it's 10 square feet per bird and I have 20 birds....... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

WOW. I'd say free range em as much as possible... I have 19, and no enclosed run at all. That'd take a lot of fencing, so FREEDOM! lol

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our run is 10 x 24 so it's 240 sq feet. We only have 12 chickens though. To me, it looks tiny. But we live on 10 acres so maybe it's all relative.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our run is 5' X 55'. We had 14 chickens till yesterday... now we have 9. Thinking about getting some more though.

7. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Im very leary of free ranging where we are...raccoons, cats, dogs, and chicken hawks everywhere...nope, no free ranging, I'm afraid....

8. Mommato5

Mommato5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Our run is an old dog run that the dog refuses to use. LOL It was already here when we moved in. It's 10X25 (so 250 sq ft) in an average sized city backyard. It looks so small and doesn't seem to take up a ton of space! 2 sides are the 6' backyard fence, one side is a 6' shed and the 4th side is chain link (no roof). We only have 4 chickens currently and still they want more! They fly over the 4' chain link fence to have the run of the whole backyard....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by