Square Foot Gardening Thread

I bought the Square Foot book several months ago. I already had the raised beds. Next time I'll take the photo when there is more sunlight, this looks a little dark.

23095_june_5_2011.jpg

My beds are landscape timber. Not my first choice, but it was all I could afford several years ago when I put them in. They are the newer treated type and they sat out for a while before I used them. Anyway, as I replace the beds, I'll use thick cedar.

I have 10 beds altogether, but only these plus two more are planted.

There is a hog panel arched between the two narrow beds and it worked great for cuc's and my sprite melons. There are sprite melons on the left and squash with a few onions on the right. In the foreground are tomatos, three basil and one Brussels sprout that has been there since August (that's DE on the plant, not Sevin). The bushes in the back box are 2 rosemary and I have other boxes not shown with more tomatoes and green peppers.

My poor tomatoes look so puny this year! The weather has already been in the 100's and we have had barely any rain.
sad.png
I am so afraid of what July and August will be like.

Okay, I'm going to keep browsing photos. I love seeing everyone's beautiful work!

Last edited:
Quote:
Get yourself some straw or shredded paper to help keep those 'mater moist. You can give them a boost by adding a shovel full of chicken poo into a bucket and top it off with water. Let it set for a day or 2 and use the water on your 'maters. Those buggers will Jump!!

Thought I had lost just about everything this evening. Bad storm rolled through, all my 'mater, beans and peppers were laying over on their side. Storms have been really bad this year. We are used to thunderstorms and hurricanes but tornadoes and "micro-bursts" aren't. Found my patio umbrella and kiddie pool in 2 different neighbors yards. The winds also sucked the trash out of the trashcan. Flipped the lid open and stuff just sworlled up out of it.

Oh well, guess that's summer in NC!

Quote:
Feel so sorry for you
hugs.gif
. The weather is out of control everywhere, or do you thing, that tornado touch downs are normal in PA?

Can't wait to start my garden, but I need to be patient. Tell myself.......stay calm and don't get to excited. Last time the m.c. canelled last minute

This is waiting for a little TLC

86182_fg.jpg

Everything is looking so great guys! Tonight is my Friday night of my work schedule, so I can get back out in the garden tomorrow morning bright and early. I will post some updates then. Keep those pictures full of green coming
cool.png

Starting to plant fall veggies as spring veggies are pulled.
Bed 1:Early daylilies are blooming . Collards in the secondbed have fall potatoes planted behind them. In the third bed are more fall potatoes. Bed 4 has shell beans planted in front and beets still growing. The 5th bed is all carrots. Bed 6 is potatoes to be dug later this month and then planted with purple hull. Bed 7 still has red cabbage but has been planted with radishes, and vine spinach. The last bed has been planted with lima beens when the onions were pulled.
23941_garden_2011_daylilies_south.jpg

On the left in the photo you see an asparagus bed, the next bed had spinach, peas and cabbage....it's now seeded with cucumbers. I left the peas to shade the cabbage that is still producing. The next be has more cabbage and brussel sprouts. the last bed before the arbor is squash (zuchini and yellow crook neck), pumpkin and butternut squash.

I posted a few more photos in the "serious Gardening thread also

My Zukes and Squash are looking mighty piddly. They don't look much bigger than when I planted them. Should be picking my first 'mater tomorrow. Roma, but hey, it's a real live 'mate not one of those plastic tasteless ones from the store! Peppers are growing but not putting on any flowers. I'm wondering if it's just tooo dang hot for things to set?? Beans are doing good though!!!!

Back
Top Bottom