Square Foot Gardening Thread

Gosh, these pictures were taken a week ago and I'm amazed how much growth I have on my tomatoes, zucchini, and squash since them. We are having homegrown squash tonight, actually.

6809_dscn3858.jpg

6809_dscn3856.jpg

I have 4 "boxes" started - 2 that are 4 ft x 4 ft and 2 that are 4 ft by 8 ft. In the long boxes, I have tomatoes, banana peppers, radish, okra, and corn. The squares are beans, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, zucchini and squash.

Everyone's posts/pics are SO inspiring! I have not been able to get a garden going yet this year. Every single weekend when I am off (my days off are Sunday and Monday), it rains here. Bright and sunny and warm all week long, and by week's end the ground is finally dry enough to start working it and I look forward to Sundays. Two weeks ago, we woke up to half a foot of snow on the ground on the very day I had planned to break ground on the fall garden.

I'm having a bad case of
barnie.gif

Great thread! I'm doing the tater "tire towers" too this year and am up to a 3 stack...really should be a 4 stack, but I have been SOOOO busy!! We have corn, beans, squash, potatoes, carrots, turnips, peas, okra, cukes, onions, and garlic going. Peppers to set out, along with watermelon and cantaloupe tomorrow. I'm using hot poo from the animals too, and no problems so far.
hu.gif
Guess the myth is busted. I'd yake pics, but DD has my camera at the grand Canyon at the moment
lol.png

Quote:
You camera is there without you??!! I'd love to see the canyon again! Lived in AZ for 5 years, last year about 3 hours from the canyon. Spent as much time as I could back then hiking those trails

Would love to see pics of your garden when you get the camera back

Quote:
The second config will be easier to mow around.
wink.png

Yea, that's what I was thinking, too. That's what my DH did. Two feet from the burning barrel, and two feet between each 4 X4 on each side of the BB.

Quote:
Maybe if you blow really hard you can move some of it down to Cali, AZ, and NM. NM hasn't had rain for over 100days!!!

x2 on the lack of rain - -- BLOW REALLY hard and send it too NORTH FLORIDA - - - PLEASE!

It's pretty dry here in NC, also. We got a SPRINKLE of rain Friday, but it just was enough to wet the grass and spot up the Jeep.

I've been having to water everything twice a day to keep it looking decent. A giant, commercial quality hose pipe is the trick.

Quote:
Maybe if you blow really hard you can move some of it down to Cali, AZ, and NM. NM hasn't had rain for over 100days!!!

Yeah maybe we need to install some motors on these wind turbines and send those clouds your way! I feel like we haven't had sun in 100 days!

Oh not me, Kate-Writer of Words is in NM, I'm in NC. We are either getting nothing or gulley washers which are just as bad as nothing as they run off before they get a chance to soak into the ground. Rain barrels are the only way to go! Only problem with them they don't have enough pressure for the soaker hoses we have laid down (or I'm just too impatient wating for them to drip)( lol well, dang, my little pea brain has another idea I need to go work on now, lol)

Back
Top Bottom