Square Foot Gardening Thread

Quote:
DANG!!! I even searched "square foot garden" before I started my own thread to be sure no one else had done the same! Sometimes I swear that freaking search thing is busted. I never seem to be able to find what I am looking for. Any who... I love your boxes! Will you be using grids? I can't get any of my things in until I am off work Wednesday. That darn snow yesterday put a crimp in my productivity!

One of the best grid sources are an old set of plastic or aluminum mini blinds. As long as the length of the blinds will span the garden. Use each individual blind to form the grid. They are pliable enough to bend the ends if you have an irregular border.

Quote:
DANG!!! I even searched "square foot garden" before I started my own thread to be sure no one else had done the same! Sometimes I swear that freaking search thing is busted. I never seem to be able to find what I am looking for. Any who... I love your boxes! Will you be using grids? I can't get any of my things in until I am off work Wednesday. That darn snow yesterday put a crimp in my productivity!

No problem, I had to go digging for it.

I think I'm just going to worry about the sq ft long-ways they are 2ft wide but that includes the lumber. I think I can get 6 tomato plants down one of them. My plants are about a foot high but I pinch off all the leaves except the top ones and dig a DEEP hole for them. They'll root up all along the stem. I'm going to be adjusting the dog run so by the time they are big enough to stake the I will just be tieing them to the dog fence. Snap peas, zukes and cukes will be going up the other fence and gourds on another. Colorful Bell peppers and pablano peppers in another bed. Yellow squash and bush beans in another. Everything is close to the house and rain barrels so no hauling hoses or buckets of water. I've also plumbed the garden tub that we are using as a dog pool. When I drain it every week we can use it to water the garden!!

The grids look like a lot of extra work and supplies ($) to me, for not much return. As soon as your plants are any size at all they won't even be noticable, and the raised beds that are in the pic look small enough that you could eyeball it or make a small mark w/ some paint if needed. Unless I am missing something and they do more then mark planting zones.

Quote:
Great idea for your tomatoes! If your boxes aren't quite deep enough for the depth your might normally use in the ground, you can strip the leave as usual but LAY the plant down in a trench-like hole. Then gently bend the top portion with the remaining leaves upwards so the plant forms a "L" shape and cover the stem and roots. You just have to remember to water the whole area
smile.png
I do this as a way to do less digging and get root production jump-started just like you.
I love the idea of a dog pool- I'm not quite sure why I don't have one? I do have 3 water-loving dogs
lol.png
I will have to install a drain in whatever I use to water the garden with it like your tub.

Last edited:
Can't wait until we get moved and I can get a garden going. It's been nearly 20 years since I've had a good garden and I've missed it dearly. Began SFG back in the 80's and wouldn't do it any other way.

One tip I learned along the way for tomatoes is to dig a trench and lay them down in the trench (they will grow roots all along the length of the stem) with just the top leaves poking out above ground (pinch off any lower leaves before planting). Be sure to put a collar on them of newspaper that extends under the soil a couple of inches as well as up the stem a couple of inches to keep the cut worms off them. They will really take off when planted this way, as they love warm soil and will be less prone to toppling over as they will have a larger root system.

I look forward to seeing everyones garden as the year progresses!

Back
Top Bottom