How does chicken manure work for gardening? And can flowers go directly into it or does it have to sit like for veggies.

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
We got our first chicks march 20 and we soon to be getting a few newborn chicks so I want to do a full cleanout before we get the new chicks in and some of the older more aggressive chicks into a different "brooder" as you can call it lol. Anyways I've read that chicken manure needs to sit for a while before being moved to a garden with edible foods growing.
So I was wondering. What about in flower beds? Does it still need to sit or what? Were doing pine shavings mixed with paper and carboard and we have alot of packs of flowers I've been wanting to try out by our power line pole. My mom tried old allysum seeds but they never popped up but tbh they were cheap and they sat for years lol So yeah. I wanna try flowers and its time to clean out our brooder but I don't know where to put it since its to late to put it in the garden.

As you are dealing with chicks only a couple of months or weeks old, I don't think you need to worry unduly about their manure burning your plants. Mixed with pine shavings is the ideal combination for a relatively rapid decomposition of both in a compost bin, if you have one or can make one where they could sit for a month or three. Failing that, I would just fork the brooder litter into the bed when you are planting it up.

The concern with putting chicken manure/litter on edibles is that it can transfer salmonella, listeria and some other nasties from their faeces onto plants that won't get cooked before being eaten, like salad leaves. Composting needs to be done properly to reduce or eliminate that risk. Or just don't put it on edibles.

I dump the manure into my compost bins. I don't like to put too many food scraps out in the bins because I'm afraid it will attract raccoons and mice (and the compost bins are near the coop). So my "greens" are chicken poop.
Were "supposed" to have raccoons around here but I havn't seen any lol My moms talking about bringing one of our old large garbage bins up here. We use to use them before my dad started paying for a dumpster so don't have to haul trash anymore. So shes thinking of getting the old bin to be moved up here near the garden to use for compost. I was just kinda hoping to have a place to put it instead of leaving it in the wheelbarrow until we can move it.

As you are dealing with chicks only a couple of months or weeks old, I don't think you need to worry unduly about their manure burning your plants. Mixed with pine shavings is the ideal combination for a relatively rapid decomposition of both in a compost bin, if you have one or can make one where they could sit for a month or three. Failing that, I would just fork the brooder litter into the bed when you are planting it up.

The concern with putting chicken manure/litter on edibles is that it can transfer salmonella, listeria and some other nasties from their faeces onto plants that won't get cooked before being eaten, like salad leaves. Composting needs to be done properly to reduce or eliminate that risk. Or just don't put it on edibles.
Were dealing with 2-4 week old chicks roughlyish. And yeah thats why I figured since we cant put it in our garden then might as well find out if we can put it in an area for flowers since we don't eat flowers lol

that's a good idea. You want to keep it covered ideally, or the rain will wash most of the nutrients out of it.
It'll probably be sitting there for a few weeks before flowers are planted since our weather isn't cooperating recently lol Next week is "supposed" to be nice but today its in the 40's and definately dont want to be planting and then we get to cold and seeds die. That would suck lol

I just didn't want it to be needing to sit there for 3-4 months before we can plant. It'll probably sit there for 2 weeks maybe up to a month before we plant the seeds

Were "supposed" to have raccoons around here but I havn't seen any lol My moms talking about bringing one of our old large garbage bins up here. We use to use them before my dad started paying for a dumpster so don't have to haul trash anymore. So shes thinking of getting the old bin to be moved up here near the garden to use for compost. I was just kinda hoping to have a place to put it instead of leaving it in the wheelbarrow until we can move it.
I just screwed 3 pallets together (2 sides and the back) to contain the "pile". I tried a closed-off plastic bin on my first compost attempt and I ended up with nasty sludge that never broke down. So just a heads up that your trash bin idea might not allow enough air flow and result in a mess too. You could maybe cut some big holes in the sides to give it some more air?

Also, learned this the hard way too - have a plan for getting the compost OUT when it's done. A plan that doesn't involve getting compost all over yourself LOL

Back
Top Bottom