Square footage confusion...

MotherCluck44

Chirping
Mar 1, 2020
Newport News, Virginia
We are building a 6x12 building for our coop/storage and attaching a 6x10 dog kennel for the outside run. I'm understanding that chickens need about 10sqft of run space..but in this case do I just consider the 6x10 kennel (60sqft) their space meaning I should only have 6 chickens comfortably? Or does the 60sqft of kennel get added to the 72sqft of the coop/shed...

I ask because I got 6 pullets from tractor supply and one is in fact a rooster that I cant keep..and I sure feel like we are building a ton of space for only 5 chickens 🤣

Thanks in advance.

We are building a 6x12 building for our coop/storage and attaching a 6x10 dog kennel for the outside run. I'm understanding that chickens need about 10sqft of run space..but in this case do I just consider the 6x10 kennel (60sqft) their space meaning I should only have 6 chickens comfortably? Or does the 60sqft of kennel get added to the 72sqft of the coop/shed...

I ask because I got 6 pullets from tractor supply and one is in fact a rooster that I cant keep..and I sure feel like we are building a ton of space for only 5 chickens 🤣

Thanks in advance.
The 10 sq ft per bird is a bare minimum. Having double that or more is a very good thing.

Chickens don't really think of it as "This is the coop, I can be crowded" and "This is the run, I want to run around and play." However my chickens don't want to be inside the coop unless they have to be, so having that bigger coop space wouldn't necessarily translate well into making up for a smaller run.

That said, for 5 chickens, this build should be sufficient.

Chickens don't really think of it as "This is the coop, I can be crowded" and "This is the run, I want to run around and play." However my chickens don't want to be inside the coop unless they have to be, so having that bigger coop space wouldn't necessarily translate well into making up for a smaller run.

I can very easily add onto the kennel area for outdoor run space..

:goodpost: Remember that chickens are birds. As such, it is very much in their nature to spend most of their day outdoors foraging, pecking, scratching, dust-bathing, hunting for bugs, etc. The coop is their natural place to go, briefly, to lay their eggs and then retire to for the night. So the square footage of the run is very important. Having "enrichment" features in the run is also important, like surfaces for them to stand on or tunnel-like things for them to shade under, etc. Enjoy your flock!

Thanks in advance.
An oft repeated and fair 'rule of thumb' for bare minimum is 4sqft in the coop and 10sqft in the run. These are calculated separately. Tho as already mentioned, there are variables to consider. If your run is totally weather and predator proof you could count the run space a coop space.
You'll be glad of the extra coop space, if when you want more chickens....
..or if you live in a harsh climate.

Speaking of which.....

Welcome to BYC! @MotherCluck44
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1585605334825.png

Back
Top Bottom