1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Square footage per bird

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SED, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    What would the square footage be for heritage breed turkeys if they are cooped full time?

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I would think that might differ depending on how many bird your talking about and how many Toms.

3. SED

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Plan on 8 hens and 2 toms. Bourbon Reds, Royal Palms, Slates, Chocolates, Naraganssetts to start with. Would a 12'x12'x8' tall work?

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The more space you can give them the better. I would say at least 4 to 5 square feet per bird. 12 x 12 is pretty small for 10 birds that would give you 144 square feet - if you use 5 square feet that would give you 250 square feet, turkeys poop alot so that will pile up quick and unless it's totaly covered they will churn that into mud hole after the first good rain. That's not healthy for them at all. Plus in the summer time they really need the extra space to keep cool in the south.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Quote:I spent the weekend working on a new pen. It is no where near being done and everything is a mess. You can kinda see it in the background of this picture. It will be enclose on all sides. We just put up 100 feet of horse fencing for the run to give them more room. I think they need the run to keep the fighting down and allow some room to get away if there is a fight.

This is my Grandson.

[​IMG]

6. ByN8ureHomstead

ByN8ureHomstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have read large chickens like orpingtons and sussex need 4 square feet per bird. Wouldn't a turkey twice as big as a large chicken need twice as much space, like 8 to 10 square feet per bird?

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

There are all different spaces listed depending on where you look.

That's why I said in the first sentence of my reply

The more space you can give them the better.

Steve​

8. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Quote:Hi Steve!

You always have such good advice! I'm a little confused here, can you help? When you say five square feet, do you mean five feet, squared? (An area five feet wide and five feet long?) 'Cause wouldn't that be 25 square feet per bird? I'm hoping it is okay to temporarily house them in less space for a weekend out of town -- they aren't ready (in my opinion) to move into the big chicken coop and run yet. I have 7 birds, they'll be 8 weeks old.

Thanks!

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

You are correct Pat, 5 feet square

Steve

10. SED

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    So it would be a minimum of 25 square feet per bird. So a 12x12 would need to house a maximum of 6 turkeys. Would 1 tom cover 5 hens pretty well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by