squarls (sorry about the spelling)

Chickemee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 30, 2007
Texas
I havent had an egg in a whole week. So the other day when I was going outside I caught 2 squarls taking my eggs. Is there anything I can do?

Oh my goodness ... those little twits!

Do you live in town? Are your chickens enclosed in a fenced area?

If it's possible to totally fence in around their hen house (that means the top also) with 1" chicken wire it might stop the squirrels. They are pretty pesky and persistent when they know what they want. Using hardware cloth would certainly stop them but who can afford that all over?

The only thing I can really suggest is getting a good dog that can't get to the chickens but can get around their fenced area. My dogs wouldn't let a squirrel anywhere on our property except in the trees. They couldn't even walk the back six foot fence without being in danger of my dog taking them right off the top.

Hopefully some here will have had actual experience in this area and give better advice.

Good luck.

Thank you for replying. Yes my chickens are in a fenced area and I live in a city. I do have hunting dog but on one side the do cant get around because there is a rock wall.

I don't know anything about 'em eating eggs (though I could certainly believe it) but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that spelling and you should not apologize for one moment. That is exactly how it is. Squarls
smile.png

Pat

They make live-traps for squirrels. Just bait them with some nuts(pecan or cashew) or you could try your chicken eggs(seems how they have a taste for them..LOL).

Just trap the silly little things and take them somewhere else. It will not keep squirrels out of your area, but it might relocate the ones that have figured out that your chicken's eggs are good to eat..

My extended family has fought with squirrels for the longest time, except never over eggs, always over the pecan trees. They use a combination of the live-traps and a good BB gun.

Hope you get rid of those lil' theives.. LOL.. It makes me think of Alvin and the Chipmunks.. Walk out there and see them makin off with a couple eggs... "ALVIN!!" LOL

-Kim

well, now I don't feel so bad about seeing my doggie trotting around the yard this afternoon with a squirrel tail in his mouth. We only had the one--I think the cats killed it-- the dog doesn't kill anything--yet--he would tear up a gopher if he could catch one though!

With the feral cats on our property the only squirrels I see are dismembered, and the cats bring me the tail. If you are willing to feed ferals you will never have squirrels. But you also need to think like a squirrel and seal off the coop as much as possible. Look for chewed openings on the underside of framing, and cover chewable wood with hardwire like mason cloth (1/2") where possible...I plan to let the cats into the coop when the hens are locked in the outdoor coop and vice-versa to let the cats patrol the outdoor run at night when the hens are locked indoors.

Last edited:
Squarls cant get into our tractor, but they figured out how to lift the lid off the feed bin and help themselves to the chicken feed. We put a bungee cord around the feed box to hold the lid down. And then we petted our cat near the box and let her get the squarl scent. She hasn't caught one yet, but she wants 'em bad and they know it! I think that's why they haven't chewed through the bungee cord yet...

Yep, I'd getcha a cat....

Back
Top Bottom