squash spacing

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bugkiller, Feb 6, 2014.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Just curious on how you guys plant your squash. I have always planted them in hills with 3 plants in each hill spaced 3' apart but not had much luck with them. any suggestion's.

2. Fluffnpuff

Fluffnpuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Are you referring to winter squash or summer squash? I'm a bit of a winter squash fanatic and I've grown them both in the hill and row method. I prefer the hill method. By hill I mean I make a slightly elevated circle about a foot across and poke holes into it about 1-1.5 inches deep in the pattern you would find on a dice with the number 5 on it. Once seed per hole, in a circle with 5 holes in it. I then water the circle and walk 4-5 feet and repeat the process. Btw, I garden with the 3 sisters method so the squash is planted in between corn rows. I know 5 seeds per hill may sound like a lot, but since i'm dealing with occasional chicken and rabbit damage, it usually works out that out of the 5 i have 3 or 4 of the plants make it to maturity so i don't have to thin them out later.

I've tried the row method and in my experience/opinion it may save you time and back pain, the number of plants that make it too maturity and produce yields isn't superior to planting them in hills.

If you're having problems, it could be the breed of squash you selected just isn't suitable for your soil and environment. A c.pepo sugar pumpkin might be awesome in an environment with a low density of squash vine borers, but it could get eaten alive in another. The main branches of winter squash are C. pepo, c. moschata, c. maxima, c. maxima, and c. mixta. Find out which family branch the squash you are having difficulty is in and maybe try a different type this summer. In my experience c. mixtas and c. moschatas are the easiest to grow.

3. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Thanks for the reply. I was referring to both actually. summer and winter. I usually plant butternut squash spaghetti squash and zucchini. but don't get near the yield that I should be. Last summer I harvested 1 zucchini (rest rotted at 3"long) 1 butternut squash from 3 plans and 1 spaghetti squash from 3 plants so it was very disappointing to say the least. I will be trying trombone squash this year and plan to make an arch for a trellis. but will take any advise I can get.

4. Fluffnpuff

Nov 6, 2012

Are you growing them outdoors or in an enclosed greenhouse? If you're in a greenhouse pollination may be the problem as squash are bee pollinated.

I've had years where my zucchini didn't do good, but butternut has always been a great yielder for me.

5. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    outdoors, just planning ahead for spring or getting spring fever lol

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think your problem is lack of fertility. Last year, I planted in a lasagna style hill, also gave miracle grow when I thought of it, and harvested 185# from a 3 x 4 x 1' high hill. Of course the squash rambled over my whole garden, and my husband mowed the vines that trespassed. It grew over my bean trellis, over my tomato trellis... over EVERYTHING!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. Fluffnpuff

Nov 6, 2012
    I agree with lazy gardener that it sounds like a fertility problem. Some squash breeds like butternut are so vigorous you should have gotten a bunch of squash from them. Once your squash plants bloom be on the look out for bees. It may be the bee population in your vicinity is so low your plants can't get properly fertilized. Here is a video on hand pollination for squash plants

[​IMG]

8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    What is your soil like?

9. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    WOW 185. that's a lot. who many plants was that from,

10. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    My soil could be better but it is not too bad. I have been adding to it every year compost and manure from my chickens so it gets better every year. I don't think the soil is the problem cause we plant eggplant in the same soil last year and we got so much eggplant we did not know what to do with it all. by mid September we were really sick of eating it. LOL. But it was nice to finally have something turn out for us. And our tomato's were grown in same soil the year before and they did fairly well too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by