Squatting already at 14 weeks?!

FlutterbyChicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
I went to pet my two 14 week-old Easter Eggers today, and they both squatted for me!! The one will never let me get anywhere near her and she let me pet her while squatting for an insane amount of time. Then the other one, who usually lets me pet her, squatted and let me pet her. I am shocked!

My one Sex Link laid at 16 weeks last year and I thought that was early. Could they really lay soon? They're combs are fairly red, but since they aren't the straights combs I didn't really notice. I hope I see a little blue or green egg soon!!

They can start squatting up to month before beginning, but that is young age for that breed.

They can start squatting up to month before beginning, but that is young age for that breed.
Well, it looks like it was right on... I got a teeny, .9oz blue egg in the run this morning. Not sure whose yet, but we're at just over 18 weeks. A whole month of squatting before laying!

Last edited:
Yay, congratulations, now to figure out who did it.
1f600.png

Keep fake eggs or golf ball in your nest to show them where it's safe. First eggs can be a surprise to a hen, and some don't understand what is happening so often they just drop them while walking around.

Keep fake eggs or golf ball in your nest to show them where it's safe. First eggs can be a surprise to a hen, and some don't understand what is happening so often they just drop them while walking around.
Haha, already done! I put them in there when they started squatting since I tend to remove real eggs pretty quickly. Hopefully they know what's coming now and plan accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom