Squatting, but no red comb or wattle???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lhayes1976, Sep 10, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have three Golden Comets that are 21 weeks old. One started laying last Friday, but nothing from the other two yet. Of the two not laying, the one with the least developed comb/wattle is squatting all the time. Is it possible to start laying without the red comb/wattle? The other with the more developed comb/wattle is just plain goofy. No sign of squatting wth her.

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have two Golden Comets who are 22 1/2 weeks old. One of them has been laying since she was 18 1/2 weeks, almost every day. She is a real egg-producing machine. The other one does have red comb and wattles, but she hasn't really squatted yet. I did observe her investigating the nest boxes this morning while the other one was laying, so I am hopeful it will be soon. We have 9 chickens and only one of the has started laying.

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    In production birds, it's possible that she may never have red combs and wattles. They're a mix between two breeds. My tetra tints have started laying, but have anemic little blond-ish combs. Check her vent, if it's dry and puckered, probably not laying. If it's moist and resembles Angelina Jolies pout, she's ready to lay.

newbiecrystal likes this.
  4. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Oh my! I'm anxious for eggs, but not that anxious [​IMG] I'll just keep checking the nest and not the vent.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have an EE that has no wattles and a very small flesh colored comb and she is laying and a BA who has had a large red comb for over a month that is not laying so I don't think that a comb color is always a factor.

6. misidawnrn

misidawnrn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Quote:I wonder if Angelina Jolie ever googles her name and if she does, will she come across this post that compares her mouth with a chicken butt!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

7. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    my ee that started laying surprised me because out of all the ee's she had the least reddest comb and wattles...she was the first to squat and laid about a week after the first squat. 2 other ees just started squatting so hopefully they will start laying soon.

8. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:I wonder if Angelina Jolie ever googles her name and if she does, will she come across this post that compares her mouth with a chicken butt!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] oh my thats great haha I have EEgers who are 21 weeks old and have really red combs but they arent squatting yet.. So no eggs... Hopefully soon.. I still think I am doing something wrong just cant figure out what lol darn free loaders.. rofl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by