1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Squatting for a massage

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Dobie Zoo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. The Dobie Zoo

The Dobie Zoo New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    Harvey, New Brunswick
    Ok so I did just read that something about matting....which i have never owned a roaster so I haven't seen chicken matting only duck....which is very forced.

3 of my 4 chickens will freeze & squat down, wings sort of out when I feed or walk by and then allow me to give them a full body massage....and they seem to love it. Is this only matting and do most chickens do this and is it pleasurable for them and not in the human "dirty" sense.

Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What they are doing is "squatting" to show that you are dominant.

They do it for a rooster if they like the rooster. But for people, they are bowing to you as the head of the flock. I like to say, "Good girdy" and scratch along side their backs.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is a normal reaction of maturing hens - the desire to mate and produce fertile eggs. Nothing 'dirty' about it for birds, animals or humans - just normal.

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs to follow soon. We say the girls simply want "servicing". We pet them then they walk off and fluff up and shake [​IMG]

RobertH

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    My production reds do it, sometimes, cannot walk through hen house with without giving them a little rub on the back one time. After that, they are fine. Just don't tell your non chicken friends, they will laugh!

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    All five of our hens will do that to my DH and I. It makes them easy to catch. [​IMG]

I'll scratch them on their backs, back of their necks, and then usually grab their tails and fluff them up. They poof up huge and squeak and purr until I stop....until we get a rooster, it's the best I can do for them. [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I don't think if it as "dirty", cause I don't think sex or mating or reproduction is "dirty", but I also have no desire to mess with a squatting hen. That's what I have roosters for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by