Squatting? huh?

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
my youngest has got theee biggest waddles of all five of my girls. Shes an Nhr @ approx 18-19 weeks old. we also have an e.e. of the same age, a barred rock, buff orp, and delaware of about two weeks older.

the del has some huge waddles going on, too.

anywhooo, i went to pick up my nhr yesterday and instead of booking it like her and the others usually do, she squatted down and let me pick her up.

could this be forshadowing of things yet to come???

MAYBE AN EGG SOON???

just curious. (pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)

so heres some pics of their faces. im sure my br, orp, and ee still have a few more weeks, but how bout that nhr and del?!?!

photo14-1.jpg

photo25-1.jpg

photo35.jpg

photo30.jpg

photo33.jpg

photo36.jpg

pardon the quality, i sabatoged them in their coop with my iphone right before they fell asleep. muahaha!

Most of them except the EE look like they could lay any time. Ours never did squat or any of the other things that hint of eggs coming. The NHR does look very close to laying.
clap.gif

Our girls starting the squat pose right before (2) and the other 2 right after they started laying. The first time I saw it, it immediately reminded me of the pose our female Japanese Quail used to take when mounted by the male quail.

My husband has also read that it can be a pose of fear if you come in from the top. Recently, I've noticed that if turn around quickly and move my arm, the closest hen will drop right down. This indicates to me that his research may be right.

I'm no expert but that's my 5 cents.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom