Squawking Soon

enmi

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
Hello all!

Another future chicken crazy person here! I’ve lurked for a while, but I decided to join so I could interact with all of the fun posts and people.

I spent my childhood on a small farm (sadly without chickens) then wound up in suburbia for about fifteen years. Spouse and I finally have a couple acres in the country (had to compromise with my city boy and didn’t buy an entire farm ;)) and we plan on getting chickens next year.

I like to garden and plan to use my chickens as pest help where possible, but I know my layers especially will become big pets because I love critters of all kinds except spiders and most things with legs in excess of four. A brown recluse bit me and stinging bugs send me to the hospital, so I’m holding a grudge!

I’d love to be able to build my own coop, but I have a couple conditions that make it physically difficult for me to do heavy building work, so I think I’ll have to have someone local build a coop or convert a storage shed into a coop, so if anyone knows of good threads for shed conversions, please point me in that direction.

Looking forward to learning new things with y’all!

-Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Brand new!

-How many chickens do you have right now?
Zero!

-What breeds do you have?
Planning on a rainbow egg mix

-What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Gardening uses and eggs

-What are some of your other hobbies?
Machine knitting, gardening, fountain pens, writing letters

-Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share
My critters are my babies. I have fish, a rosy boa, a cat, and a dog.

-Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Mr. Google sent me this way, but a friend finally convinced me to join and stop being a lurker. Then I found out they’re still a lurker! C’mon now!

Back
Top Bottom