Squeeky noise

icy_flames

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
CO
Hi everyone,

My beautiful Australorp Raven seems to be having a squeeky noise coming from her, almost wheezing but not quite. It's VERY slight, you have to be right next to her face to hear. She sits on my lap alot. I thought initially it was coming from a tree nearby with a baby bird but it was noticeable in Raven this morning. A little tail bobbing but thats it. Since I believed it was a baby bird this whole time Raven has definitely been doing this for the last 2-3 weeks.

Nothing else is out of character for her. She eats and drinks normally, very chatty, treat monster. Her and my buff have been getting into it lately with the pecking order and Raven is always squatting to submit for buff. She is just the sweetest bird.

Is there anything at Tractor Supply or Amazon that I can buy to help clear this up? Since she's acting the same I don't think it warrants a vet visit just yet. I'm still learning about the various poultry supplements/first aid things they sell. Finally got some blukote the other day ( no one needed it. I'm just beginning my emergency kit).

Thanks!

Can you get some video/audio of this noise?
Best time to listen is after dark when they are on the roost.
I would not treat for anything until you know for sure there's an issue and what exactly it is.
Oh might want to take the blukote back and get some verticyn, better for wound care.

Injecting anything would definitely be out on my end unfortunately. That terrifies me. I will make a note about the powdered tylan 50 for my first aid kit.

Not sure if I can get it on video but will try. I couldn't hear it last night. Wasn't able to sit with her this morning because it's windy and they all hide in the coop till it dies down:p

Would cold weather have anything to do with it, even temporary? I'm in CO and nighttime/ early morning temps have been in the teens. Their coop is not drafty and has a ventilation at the top, almost in line with their roosts.

Verticyn is on my list to put in the emergency kit. A lot of sites recommended blukote so other chickens dont continue to peck the wounds.

A lot of sites recommended blukote so other chickens dont continue to peck the wounds.
I've found it doesn't work, can even attract more pecking attention.
Plus is camouflages the wound so you can't see it's status.

As far as antibiotics, hard to buy ahead of time because they have expiry dates and it's hard to know when to use them. Different ones are good for different bacteria.

Respiratory infections can be hard to diagnose accurately, symptoms other than 'squeeky noise' are needed to even begin to make a 'guess'.
Even if you get the right med, most respiratory infections are carried for life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom