squirrel bite?

chickenychicken

Chirping
Mar 30, 2015
Happy easter :)
My dog caught a squirrel and it bit him and IF a squirrel did bite one of my chickens could it hurt her? Could this spread diseases to my dog or my chickens IF one was bit by a squirrel because ive heard about rat bite fever.

Yes - a squirrel bite can transmit some nasties. The primary concern for the dog is going to be rabies - is your dog up to date on that vaccination? In addition to disease, you will also need to be on guard for infection.

Last edited:
I agree with Ol Grey Mare . And here are some of my thoughts.
The most likely reason for squirrel biting your dog was a defensive one. They usually don't run around biting other animals. I don't think that your chickens are in danger. I have a mess of squirrels around and they do help themselves to the food I give my chickens. I also feed my squirrels nuts and sunflower seeds. ( Have soft heart,) Never had a biting issue.
Now as for rabies.,, If that squirrel is sick, and it did bite your dog. Your dog will go to Heaven.
sad.png
That is how the rabies vaccine works on pets given the rabies shots. Wildlife personnel that get rabies vaccine is a different procedure that is given to people in multiple doses, and over a designated time period. Then the person is immune to rabies.
Rabies shots are intended to stop the spread of the disease. I was told this long time ago by a veterinarian .. I assume they work the same way now.

The bite was probably a defensive bite. I know you'll worry about rabies, but unless the squirrel was acting oddly or aggressively out of character, it was probably just biting to try to save its self. Keep us posted on your dog, & good luck.

whoa just a minute here

I am a wild life rehabber and I have been bite a million times by squirrels young and old, wild and tame.

1) Squirrels ALMOST NEVER rare, rare, rare , carry rabies ----do you research.(think there has only been 3 cases in all the years that the US has been keeping data and those cases were questionable) It just doesn't happen neither do opossums or armadillos (however armadillos can transmit leprosy)

This is right from the CDC website

Small mammals such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rabbits, and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This squirrel bite in defense..... period. No other reason and the wound can get infected (yup had that happen) just be sure to clean the wound with a good wound cleaner. Nothing to pass on to your chickens etc.

Squirrels bites --- believe it or not --- are very painful so your pet might show some discomfort from it.

Other then that he/she should be fine

whoa just a minute here

I am a wild life rehabber and I have been bite a million times by squirrels young and old, wild and tame.

1) Squirrels ALMOST NEVER rare, rare, rare , carry rabies ----do you research.(think there has only been 3 cases in all the years that the US has been keeping data and those cases were questionable) It just doesn't happen neither do opossums or armadillos (however armadillos can transmit leprosy)

This is right from the CDC website

Small mammals such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rabbits, and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This squirrel bite in defense..... period. No other reason and the wound can get infected (yup had that happen) just be sure to clean the wound with a good wound cleaner. Nothing to pass on to your chickens etc.

Squirrels bites --- believe it or not --- are very painful so your pet might show some discomfort from it.

Other then that he/she should be fine

Take a breath - nowhere did I, or anyone else, state that this squirrel was rabid or that the dog was going to get rabies from the squirrel - I simply answered the OP's question which was could the dog be infected with disease from the bite - and those diseases can include rabies. Inquiring about up to date vaccination is standard protocol for interaction between domestic pet and wildlife.
As someone who also works in re-hab and who has also had the "pleasure" of a squirrel bite I do agree that it is quite painful.

Thanks for your help everyone. My dog actualy killed the squerial that bit him...
sickbyc.gif

I know its Very rare for small mammels to get rabies (sorry about my bad spelling:) ) because if a small animal like that got bit by a rabid animal it most likely wouldent survive the bit but thanks again and my dog is ok too just seems to have a little bite, oh and yes hes up to date on his rabies shots.

Back
Top Bottom