Squirrel in coop -- after feed, eggs or both?

lau.gif

Quote:
lau.gif

Are you all talking about some rabid killer mountain type squirrels?

Nah, I'm talking about standard issue Sciurus carolinensis, AKA, Grey Tree Rat.

The ones here, in this remnant of Oak/Hickory forest, that every month or so, decide to cross the road by hopping to the power line transformer from the closest White Oak, cooking themselves quickly and blowing the fuse, so I can call the REC to come out and replace it so I don't have to use up emergency UPS to stay online, because we've been rendered otherwise `juiceless' by a rodent.

The ones that gnaw off as much new growth from the trees as it takes to keep their incisors from growing too long, thereby allowing disease to take hold.

That like to die naturally in opened bags of potting soil that one is reaching into two days later (squirrels decompose quickly with maximum `degassing' bleh!).

Our chooks chase them (full grown standards), our turkeys ignore them, I shoot them, and our outdoor cat scarfs them down like they were cheap burritos. What hacks me off is that they compete with the Nocturnal Squirrels and we like the Nocturnals, owing to their derring-do in their never ending battle with the Barred Owls. The Greys eat the little Flyers... peeps, if left out in our yard, would fare as poorly.

Cass shoots them because they eat the Black Walnuts (if that was all they were about - I'd never bother them), go figure.

If they were rabid mountain squirrels maybe we could get a subsidy for ammunition (think Snakeheads in MD). I believe they are trying to clean the Greys from England (invasive non-native).

Tongue only barely touching cheek
cool.png

(grandmother thought they were good (cute?) if properly cooked.

What do you do with scorpions, by the way?
wink.png

Mom's Folly wrote
Scorpion, meet Mr. Shoe. Mr. Shoe says "Whack, whack, whack!"
Haven't had one of those nasty buggers in the house since I've had chickens in the backyard.

FS2.jpg

(bravo! ((Flyer Strategic Command applauds implementation of tactical response)) ).​

Airheart43 wrote
Well, out here in Los Angeles, we make game show contestents eat scorpions to win big big prizes.

In the Heart Of The Inland Empire, my ma kept the scorpions in one terrarium (made the exterminators save them for her) and the Horned Toads in the other terrarium (my `bros' and I would haul home the occasional Tarantula - liked to watch them leap up on the screen door to fang the houseflies).

(still withdrawing from that `high' desert ambiance all these years later)
roll.png

(glad to see the wind has backed off - keep up watching LA Fox via Sat. - KTLA always had the best live feed back in the early `60's).

Take care!
John​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom