1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Squirrel in coop -- after feed, eggs or both?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Urbanchickens, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Twice now, we've found a squirrel in our chicken coop. We leave the door open while the girls are free ranging during the day. Do you think it's after the feed or eggs? 2 girls have only been laying for a few weeks and the egg count each day varies. 1/2/2/1/1/2, etc. I figured it was inconsistent because they were new layers. Now I'm wondering if the squirrel may be stealing an egg.

Any ideas?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Squirrels eat grains, eggs and baby birds. And they are nasty varmints that leave defication behind that can contaminate feed sources.

Jody

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've never heard or read of a squirrel stealing eggs so I suspect that it's more interested in the feed. They are a pain in the rear here with the bird feeders, right now since it's cooling off.

Wow...thanks for the info Jody...I didn't know that they'd go after baby birds...yet another reason for me not to like them! [​IMG]

Dawn

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The diet of Eastern Gray Squirrels includes: acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, beechnuts, maple (buds, bark, and samaras), Yellow Poplar blossoms, American Hornbeam seeds, apples, fungi, Black Cherry, Flowering Dogwood, grapes, sedges, grasses, American Holly, insects (adults and larvae), baby birds, bird eggs, and amphibians. Sometimes they even eat each other!

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/eastern_gray_squirrel.htm

Jody​

5. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    oh they will steal those eggs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Just got off the phone with Skip...was telling him about this post and what new info I'd learned for the day...he tells me about the time he was working with our friend in Nashville...they'd finished for the day, were getting ready to leave when they saw a squirrel carrying a dead baby rabbit...[​IMG] Guess it's time to join our landlady's vigil in thinning the buggers out some...[​IMG]

Dawn

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    squirrels do make a right tasty stew.

8. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Quote:Squirrels eat eggs & baby birds? Dang, I didn't know that!

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I've watched grey `tree rats' attacking Southern Nocturnal Flying Squirrel nests to get at the pups.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have squirrels coming through my yard all the time. i put out peanuts and sunflower seeds for them. They have never bothered my chickens. Are you all talking about some rabid killer mountain type squirrels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by