Squirrel Lost............. Squirrel Found.......

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
After my cat brought me what I thought was a rat, but ended up being a tiny baby squirrel, I ended up raising it when no rehabs could be found. He is still a young squirrel and has been on solid food w/o milk for about almost a month now. "Rocky', was in his outdoor cage when I checked on him that afternoon and had continued my working in the yard, but when hubby went to give him a treat he was gone. Somehow he slipped between the door and the cage..... we looked all over, but there were plenty of woods and things a squirrel would like to explore and if he went on the ground our young turkeys would have chased him relentlessly. Then it started to rain hard..... we were very worried that if he was out in the woods he might not know to be scared of the cat, find a dry place or he might have a rat snake find him. We were very sad,my husband the most, but I hoped for the best and that he was old enough to know squirrel things. Hours past , the rain slowed and I went out to check on the chickens. Out of the corner of my eye I see a brown shape on the ground flying like a bat out of heck towards me. It was Rocky ! He had made it all the way to the back porch, under the BBQ grill to stay dry and when he saw me, he came shooting out across the backyard and right up my arm. We both are very relieved and now Rocky is safe in a different cage in our garage until he is closer to a full size squirrel in size and can handle big squirrel things.
big_smile.png

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

I've raised 5 squirrels and it is so interesting to see how they actually 'know' how to 'do big squirrel things' as they mature -- Nature is amazing -- :)

Can you get him neutered? There is a local vet who has one that got extremely aggressive after sexual maturity, but calmed down once neutered.

Back
Top Bottom