Squirrels eating chicken eggs

Pics

JoBethWhite

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
I have a new chicken coop and run, very predator proof, but not squirrel proof. Squirrels have been raiding the henhouse, any suggestions at how to deter them. I have pictures of them taking the eggs from the nest boxes, managing to get them to the floor without breaking them and then rolling them out the chicken door. Any suggestions would be welcome. JoBeth

Last edited:
The mental picture of a squirrel rolling an egg out the coop door is hilarious. The only two solutions that I can envision are elimination of the squirrels or exclusion from the coop/run. The second choice is almost impossible with squirrels-ask anyone involved in wildlife control work. Feeding wildlife is never a solution. It only creates more problems.

Quote:

I can't put wire mesh up over all of my yard since i free range my girls and they go in and out to lay eggs, I am going to get an air gun and we shall see who wins me or the squirrels, do you have any recipes for squirrel my son said he will skin and gut I just have to cook so need some recipes thanks very much.
Squirrel sauce Piquante extremely spicy (to your taste) served over rice.
Try John Folse recipe on the internet or PM me if you have trouble finding it. :drool

Glad we are not the only ones that have that problem. We have 8 breeder pens that are all built the same but they only take the eggs out of one pen. One of the other pens they get into the box and bust the eggs. Our best deterent so far is a .22.

Quote:
I'm sorry I just had to chime in here. Envisioning a squirrel rolling an egg out the henhouse door cracked me up. Just when you think you've seen everything !! I'd love to see those photos.
Sorry, I can't be of any help here. I have two cats that found their way into my garage one day and never left so I don't have many squirrels. I did however lose a chicken to a fox in broad daylight last week while they were free ranging so I'm dealing with that right now.
If it ain't one thing it's a couple dozen of another I guess.
Maybe you should hang a squirrel feeder out for the little fellow to entertain himself with.

For me keeping chickens is about sustainable living. Killing any predator in your yard is NOT.

Remember they have been there before you. We human enroach on wildlife - try to live in peace with your wildlife.

EXCLUSION is the key word - almost any "pest animal" can be excluded.
In your case, you might want to add fencing (hardware cloth with 1/2inch to 1inch) that is too small for the squirrels to get through.
Also feeding the squirrels might do the trick to distract them. Squirrels are not big on eggs anyway - I work in wildlife rehab and although we offer eggs to squirrels, they hardly never eat it when giving other choices.

Exclusion also works for raccoon, foxes, etc - trying to live in harmony with the world around you also might make you feel better about yourself and your chickens
smile.png

I would love to see the pics of the squirrels rolling the eggs though, thats hillarious !!
smile.png

Quote:
Just curious...what's your groovy feeling about rats?

I'm sure if it were that easy, every electric company in the country would have squirrel-proof sub stations by now. What's a couple of $100s for fencing compared to the cost of a blackout.

Also, I'm not sure about feeding them. Seems to me that might just draw more of the furry little nuisances in. Let's face it, animals tend to congregate where food is abundant. Especially if they don't have to spend calories to obtain it. Look at any suburban park or college campus for examples of this in practice.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is a slightly annoying post to me. yes, you feel that in your yard you want to commune with your nature. But don’t attempt to make others feel as if they are less then or should feel badly about themselves for reducing the vermin situation. As others have posted the squirrel pop and several other local preds are wildly out of control. They are simply rats with fuzzy tails. If there is a bad year food wise for the squirrels in my yard they go nuts and eat anything they can find, even plastic. We have totally redone all the lovely woodwork and covered it with metal on the house because during bad years the squirrels even eat wood and paint. That tells me there is a massive overpopulation problem. The hawks and owls cant keep up with them, even with at least 2 hawk nests and several owl nests on the property. Then I will get into your exclusion ideal. Not everyone can afford the fort knox of coops and give their chickens enough space for a decent life. For some familys a few hens may make the difference between their kids going hungry or not. For those families shooting a pred is the very simplest and cheapest way to protect their food supply.

Back
Top Bottom