squirrels in the chicken yard.

jmunger

Hatching
9 Years
May 10, 2010
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with ground squirrels coming into enclosed chicken yard. They come in to get food an water, as both are in plentiful supply. The yard (12'x12' ) is wrapped in chain link, and I have 1"x1" wire on top of that up about 4ft from the ground. It has been a really hot summer, and I think that is what is going on. I didn't have this problem last year. Do I need to worry about disease from the squirrels? We live at 4300Ft. elevation and our property adjoins Cleveland National Forest in San Diego CO.

Any advice?

welcome-byc.gif

You probably won't like my solution~~but here goes. If ground squirrel is the same thing as a chipmunk, they can cause more harm than just drinking the water. They will consume the feed, eggs, and small chicks. I use to have a problem with them until I started using a live trap. I tried relocating them, but they always came back~~~so, the 22 got put into use. No more chipmunks in my yard...

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
. We have grey squirrels raiding our apple and pear trees this time of year. We've enclose our run to exclude them. I would not want them in with the hens. Sorry, can't really answer your questions. Perhaps if you post it on the Predators and Pests topic, someone will answer it! Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I usually have a dishpan of water outside the runs for the local fauna. Keeps them out of the runs and no hassling with traps. I don't feed scratch when it's hot outside, so no food as an attractant, either.

Back
Top Bottom