1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Squished baby... Can I save it???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenanneray, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I have chicks hatching under a broody. Another broody insists on sitting on top of her. She caused a chick to have intestines squished out of its umbilical area. Its still alive and cheeping,but will it survive? Is there anything I can do for it?? Please help!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, that doesn't sound good. I am so sorry. Not sure if it's intestines can be put back in, and they would be dirty and possibly an infection could start.....Might be best to put it down.

Others will see and help......Hang in there!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If it was squished and the intestines are coming out, there is a good chance there is extensive internal damage. Just looking at the picture, i think it's chances of surviving are slim. That's just my opinion. You have to do what you feel is best. If you don't cull, it may very well pass on it's own soon. i'm so sorry. i know how difficult these things can be.

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

OH! Thats not good! I had a chicken have its guts out of its bottem, and some how it must have gotten them back in [​IMG] . I'm not sure about a chick though. She may not make it. [​IMG]

5. jenanneray

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Thanks for your replies. I'm so upset. I've decided to cull. The stinky broody that killed my chick has been removed too. [​IMG]

6. farmgirlz

farmgirlz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Sorry [​IMG] It always seems harder to cull a chick {poor little bugger didn't even have a chance to dry out}...I've been there.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry! i hope the surviving babies will warm your heart and ease some of the pain.

8. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I've heard my husband's great-grandmother say that the best way to stop a broody hen is to dip her (legs up to chest) in a pail of cold water. Don't know if that is just an old wives' tale, but thought I'd mention it in case someone else has this same issue and is worried about the chick's safety.

Sorry for your loss.

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Such a shock to have a tragedy like that--I'm sorry [​IMG]

10. jenanneray

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Im definately going to try the cold water thing.... This particular broody is mean to every other chicken I have and refuses to sit on eggs. Getting dunked tomorrow morning so she has time to dry out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by