Squished ducklings?

DaniellyB

Chirping
Dec 19, 2021
Battle Ground, WA
My first nest that had 3 muscovy mamas on it did really good! Hatched out the majority of their eggs. But... different mama, different nest and this is the second egg I have found like this. First one I tried to help it, and it ended up passing the next day :( Left the second one with mama to see if maybe it was my fault, but the same thing happened. Anyone have any idea what this is or how I can help mama ducks for next time?

Attachments

• 20220115_091326.jpg
    20220115_091326.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 32
Did that with the first one and it did not make it.. the second one was already dead.
sad :(
Once they become squished, they really have no chance unless assisted. I had chicken eggs under a muscovy and one was squished like the egg shown. I assisted, but it was very close to hatch date. He made it and is a brat! I knew once he made it, it was going to be a rooster.
Sorry for the loss. If the nest is crowded, that could be why the eggs are getting squished. What kind of bedding is she nesting on? Maybe this is why muscovy brood so many eggs?

Last edited:
Once they become squished, they really have no chance unless assisted. I had chicken eggs under a muscovy and one was squished like the egg shown. I assisted, but it was very close to hatch date. He made it and is a brat! I knew once he made it, it was going to be a rooster.
Sorry for the loss. If the nest is crowded, that could be why the eggs are getting squished. What kind of bedding is she nesting on? Maybe this us why muscovy brood so many eggs?
She has a mix of straw, pine bedding and a crap ton of feathers in a built square box.

The other nest (which I thought was toast) ended up hatching out 5 eggs last night!! yay :)

There's a number of reasons for squished eggs in the nest at hatch.

The mother tying to assist a duckling.
Drake mating the hen on the nest.
The hen stepping on the eggs when there isn't enough nest padding
An overweight hen who is lying on the eggs with all her weight.
Too much interference at hatch time with a duck who is not tame.
A nervous inexperienced hen.

I have had all these happen over the years with many species of birds. After reading your post and looking at the egg those marked in red are the strongest possible reasons.

I have found that for the best luck in hatching, use a covered nest to avoid unwanted male attention, an abundance of soft nest material to keep eggs from being crushed when stepped on, a few hard dummy eggs to hold the hen up so her weight doesn't crush the eggs, and restraining ones self from disturbing the nest when eggs are hatching. I have a really hard time with the last one even though I know the risk and have had upset hens crush eggs.

There's a number of reasons for squished eggs in the nest at hatch.

The mother tying to assist a duckling.
Drake mating the hen on the nest.
The hen stepping on the eggs when there isn't enough nest padding
An overweight hen who is lying on the eggs with all her weight.
Too much interference at hatch time with a duck who is not tame.
A nervous inexperienced hen.

I have had all these happen over the years with many species of birds. After reading your post and looking at the egg those marked in red are the strongest possible reasons.

I have found that for the best luck in hatching, use a covered nest to avoid unwanted male attention, an abundance of soft nest material to keep eggs from being crushed when stepped on, a few hard dummy eggs to hold the hen up so her weight doesn't crush the eggs, and restraining ones self from disturbing the nest when eggs are hatching. I have a really hard time with the last one even though I know the risk and have had upset hens crush eggs.
I actually got rid of my drake a few weeks ago. I am going to assume inexperienced.. she is a bit slow lol. But so very sweet. Kind of feel bad for her now :(

Definitely plan on upgrading quite a bit in spring time! Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom