squishy crop but no longer throwing up ... and another with wry neck

smseverson

Songster
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
West-Central Wisconsin
Two issues occurring in our tiny flock right now and I've always found great advise on this sight so reaching out for more(?) advise/guidance.

Sour Crop: We are on day 3 of something going on with one of our 6 year old barred rock hens. She has been lethargic and throwing up. Based on everything (LOTS) I've read, I lead towards sour crop, minus the smell. She is not emptying and it is squishy. I separated her and removed any food (which she wasn't really eating anyway) ... but has been drinking almost constantly but also throwing up when she'd lean over to drink. That finally quit late yesterday. Following guidance on a thread here, I started yesterday with miconazole - two doses although I'm not sure how much actually got in. She didn't empty overnight; she is still kind of "down" but I tried another dose this morning and did the massaging. I fed her some plain Greek yogurt (barely any would she eat so I cut up tiny bits of spinach which worked a bit) but I'm worried about her starving. The other thing is she had a REALLY smelly bottom (vent gleet?) so she got a warm bath to get that all cleaned up - WAY better now! So ... do I continue on this path, is there something else I should be trying??

The other one, a buff orpington suddenly appeared with wry neck. I have inspected her over and over again and see no signs of infection so can only assume a head injury? All other girls are fine so I'm ruling out vitamin deficiency because they all eat the same thing, I regularly offer vitamin supplement with electrolytes. We have been taking her out of the house because she gets her neck going and can't do anything. When she's in the run and up and walking around, she's much better.

Thanks in advance for any additional recommendations (or affirmations!?) on either of these two situations. I appreciate all the wisdom on this sight and even more deeply appreciate how everyone cares for their flocks!

I'd get the first one on probiotics like sugar-free Greek yogurt or you can buy powdered stuff for in their water. We have hydro-hen that is a probiotic. Fermenting grain is also high in probiotics/prebiotics. If you think it's vent gleet, like she reeks bad back there, try putting Monistat cream on her butt after you bathe her.

Here's an excellent article about crops in case that's the problem. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

For your last one, even one chicken out of dozens could suffer from a vitamin deficiency, but since you said she's better when she's running around, it makes me wonder if she got injured somehow. If you want to treat her for it regardless, it's 400 i.u. Vit E. One of yours if you have it or can buy that at a drug store. Pop it in her mouth. Then give a little scrambled/boiled egg for the selenium it needs to absorb. Also, 1/4 to 1/2 of a B-complex vitamin could help too. I'd do that for a couple of weeks.

I'd get the first one on probiotics like sugar-free Greek yogurt or you can buy powdered stuff for in their water. We have hydro-hen that is a probiotic. Fermenting grain is also high in probiotics/prebiotics. If you think it's vent gleet, like she reeks bad back there, try putting Monistat cream on her butt after you bathe her.

Here's an excellent article about crops in case that's the problem. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

For your last one, even one chicken out of dozens could suffer from a vitamin deficiency, but since you said she's better when she's running around, it makes me wonder if she got injured somehow. If you want to treat her for it regardless, it's 400 i.u. Vit E. One of yours if you have it or can buy that at a drug store. Pop it in her mouth. Then give a little scrambled/boiled egg for the selenium it needs to absorb. Also, 1/4 to 1/2 of a B-complex vitamin could help too. I'd do that for a couple of weeks.

Thank you! That is the exact article I followed for treatment of the first one ... great advice and easy to follow. I was devastated to find her this morning gone. Her bottom was perfectly good, it was the crop issue - angry and heartbroken all at the same time. 😢

For the wry neck, I have been giving her spinach leaves and tonight picked up the Vitamin E, only had the soft gel (200IU). Am I okay to give her 2 of those whole like that?? I'm so edgy about everything now given the situation this morning. UGH! But I'll do whatever it takes!

Back
Top Bottom