Squishy crop, yellow liquid, no egg for 2 days, lethargic

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
Our year-old hen spent most of yesterday in the coop, and was outside hunched over the water dispenser today, drinking quite a lot. She is not eating.

Her crop is very squishy, as if filled with water, and yellow liquid has been coming out of her beak periodically. (Doesn't smell foul, but not too pretty either.) She has not laid an egg in 2 days (normally daily, or at least every other day). No signs of respiratory distress, but she is lethargic. She is now in a carrier inside where she's safe and I can keep an eye on her.

I can't figure out if this is sour crop or if she is egg bound, or? I cannot feel an egg, within an inch or so of the vent, anyway. Her eggs are typically a bit smaller than her sisters', and the shells aren't as thick (not eating the oyster shell?)

Not sure if I should try micronazole, coconut oil, calcium, or ???

Have been reading and reading, but would be grateful for any wisdom you might have.

She didn't make it. I'm suspecting she must have been egg bound. The only thing I didn't try was the Epsom salt bath. 😢 Wishing now that I had. RIP Lila, sweet girl.

Back
Top Bottom