Srsly sick chicken!!! Plzzz help!!

Alina28

Songster
Dec 28, 2017
My 1 year old hen suddenly had a vent prolapse. She was absolutely fine the day before . She had diarrhea as well with it. I cleaned the area with some antiseptic and applied an ointment . Additionally i gave her an antibiotic to prevent any infection in the area. It did not look very serious......like you couldn't tell anything just by looking at her butt but when she pooped you could see that she has a prolapsed vent. I then sperated her from the rest of the flock. She was throwing a sneeze or two here and there but i didn't think much of it.

The next day i see that she is all ruffled up has a runny nose , watery swollen eyes and is continuously sneezing. All that with a prolapsed vent. Her comb has also started turning black. What should do i guys? Plss help!!! Due to lockdown here i can't take her to a vet.
Could it be bird flu ?! There were some cases in my country but they are all very far from where i live.

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_184808.jpg
    IMG_20200402_184808.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200402_184801.jpg
    IMG_20200402_184801.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200402_184815.jpg
    IMG_20200402_184815.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 3
Sorry anout your sick hen. Where are you located? It would be hard to tell exactly what disease that she has, but it does sound like a respiratory disease. Mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and Infectious bronchitis are some of the common diseases, and swollen eyes can be signs of coryza and MG. AI or bird flu can cause a dark comb and some of the other symptoms above, but testing or a necropsy would need to be done to diagnose it. Heart problems or low oxygen levels in the blood can also cause the comb color change. Does the comb become redder when she is not stressed?

Is her prolapse staying in when she is not straining to poop? Can you get any antibiotics to treat her for the respiratory symptoms? AI is a virus, and there is no treatment.

My 1 year old hen suddenly had a vent prolapse. She was absolutely fine the day before . She had diarrhea as well with it. I cleaned the area with some antiseptic and applied an ointment . Additionally i gave her an antibiotic to prevent any infection in the area. It did not look very serious......like you couldn't tell anything just by looking at her butt but when she pooped you could see that she has a prolapsed vent. I then sperated her from the rest of the flock. She was throwing a sneeze or two here and there but i didn't think much of it.

The next day i see that she is all ruffled up has a runny nose , watery swollen eyes and is continuously sneezing. All that with a prolapsed vent. Her comb has also started turning black. What should do i guys? Plss help!!! Due to lockdown here i can't take her to a vet.
Could it be bird flu ?! There were some cases in my country but they are all very far from where i live.
All those symptons seem to be associated to CRD(Cronicle Respiratory Disease)I think you`ve took the most important steps so you must keep the medication (oxitetracicline works very well) if you have the courage you must gently put the prolapsed tissue inside again with the help of ointment (olive oil usually works)Good Luck and be aware of coccidia because it strikes during CRD crisis...

Sorry anout your sick hen. Where are you located? It would be hard to tell exactly what disease that she has, but it does sound like a respiratory disease. Mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and Infectious bronchitis are some of the common diseases, and swollen eyes can be signs of coryza and MG. AI or bird flu can cause a dark comb and some of the other symptoms above, but testing or a necropsy would need to be done to diagnose it. Heart problems or low oxygen levels in the blood can also cause the comb color change. Does the comb become redder when she is not stressed?

Is her prolapse staying in when she is not straining to poop? Can you get any antibiotics to treat her for the respiratory symptoms? AI is a virus, and there is no treatment.

Tysm for replying!!!!
Her comb just developed this black colour this evening. I don't think it gets redder in any case.
Her prolapse stays in place unless she strains to poop. I can try but i am not sure if i can get the exact medicine right now. But i gave her metranedazol since i had it at home. I thought its better than doing nothing.

All those symptons seem to be associated to CRD(Cronicle Respiratory Disease)I think you`ve took the most important steps so you must keep the medication (oxitetracicline works very well) if you have the courage you must gently put the prolapsed tissue inside again with the help of ointment (olive oil usually works)Good Luck and be aware of coccidia because it strikes during CRD crisis...

Tysm for replying!!!! I will try to get oxitetracicline tomorrow ....... Due to lockdown Shops are closed after 10 in the morning. Her prolapse stays in place unless she strains to poop. How do i push it then?

Don't give her any vegetables keep her on grains or ration ...Her comb colour is not a very good sign...but we must keep :thumbsupour spirit high don´t let her without water and make sure she`s eating getting better her comb will return to normal colour(sorry I have no Enter key...)

If you wont I can give some home recipes...In this cases we try all...
For prevention/treatment respiratory problems I smash some garlic (about 6 cloves/1l water)and some lemon juice (1 or 2 if they are limes or smaller lemons) I keep it during the night (if it `s warm I keep it in the fridge)next morning I divide 1 l of the mixture per 3 liters of water I give this all year long during winter is very important (lemon is very important to maintain the ph of intestines wright so animals absorb well the food we give them-well feed animals are more resistant to diseases)For warms and resistance I grind oregano leafs and flowers (oregano is a very common herb here in Portugal) and mixt them with food (grains/composed feed), for babies and young turkeys I also use oregano oil in water This are not miracle recipes but I got improvements since I use them...

Back
Top Bottom