St. John's Wort

Pics
Just so you know, I did let her rest in a nest every night for the night to take pressure points off of her. I also switched the heights so different amounts of pressure was on their legs.
And for underneath.... an open junk magazine works well. Poop,...... turn the page.
smile.png

Quote:
start vaccinating any new chicks for mareks, only 14.95 for a bottle that treats 1000. you will soon not have any chickens with this dreadful disease. can get vaccine from jeffers vet supply in dothan, al. and they will ship it.

Quote:
just like to add that after vaccination, chicks need to be kept away from other chickens for at least 2 weeks, better if it is 4 weeks or they may still get mareks. takes some time for them to develop immunity.

I now get only vaccinated chicks and I should mention I only have Banties. I ordered with 3 friends last May a total of 45. Of my 16 vaccinated chicks, only the Silver Sebright developed typical progressive symptoms along with 2 other chicks that were incubator hatched and gifted to me at the same time and were in with this group. All 3 developed typical Mareks symptoms and died as young adults in the same few weeks. One other vaccinated chick also developed something odd at the same time, a leg that swelled to an enormous size. I feel confident I will not loose any others in this group that is now approaching a year old.

Oddly, out of my non vaccinated group of 16 from a March incubator hatch, only one succumbed at the same time as the other group who were actually kept on different properties. They are now all here on the same property in different coops and I waited all winter for "the ax to drop" on the non vaccinated group, but so far no more symptoms in either group. But in the coop with this non vaccinated group I had 3 other older birds develop the typical Mareks symptoms though.

I still will only get vaccinated chicks. It is so heart wrenching to have them go through this, and odds are better for the vaccinated ones even though my bunch wasn't typical odds. I am not a pro by any means, but having gone through loosing so many birds to Mareks, I always recommend getting vaccinated birds.

I do wonder when you get them from hatcheries, how do they vaccinated some, but not others?? We ordered a few of each color, a total of 45 vaccinated. Knowing that the vaccine must be used in a very short time, I would love to know how they make sure MINE are vaccinated. Does anyone know how small groups are done?

Quote:
i have been told that they vaccinate in the shell, don't know if this is actual. i think if everyone would vaccinate, that mareks could essentially be irradicated as we have done for human diseases. i know that since i have started vaccinating i rarely have one with mareks. i think this is one of the worst diseases. i started with six chickens that i bought locally and had 3 to develop mareks, i did not start vaccinating until about a year -year & half and results have been remarkable. i just wish the company would break the vaccine into 4 containers for small poultry owners, but 14.00 is not that much to protect a batch of chicks.

I have a "little boy" that has Marek's and this blind sided me out of this batch of chicks. Call me stupid, what ever, but I went and picked up the herb and gave the little guy his first dose. Unfortunately its 4 days in and I'm not going to give up on this guy. Keep good thoughts for this guy, there is a little girl wanting her rooster!!!
PS-any suggestions please let me know! TY

Quote:
I tried this remedy too for my bird and it didn't seem to help at all. Maybe I waited too long, maybe she didn't have Marek's. Either way, I ended up putting her down using the bucket and CO2 method after 4 weeks of struggling to help her. I hope your little one does well
smile.png
Positive chickie vibes coming your way

Quote:
I wish we could just wish him better. So sorry for this. I am always so sad to hear of someone else suffering along with this dread disease. Our best to you and your birds!!!!

Hello all,
I'm hoping for updates on the other Mareks birds on this posting.
Spook - did your little roo recover?

I have an 11 week old silver sebright who was diagnosed with Mareks yesterday by the vet. She prescribed a painkiller/antiinflammitory drug 1x a day. I'm also trying the hypericum and colloidal silver to see if it will help. It's day 3 for this poor little girl and she's just going down hill. Not trying to eat or drink so far today.

Is there anything that can be done about the gasping? the only good thing I can see about it is that its easier to get fluids in her mouth since she keeps opening it.
Thanks gang,
Deb

Back
Top Bottom