1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

St. Pattie's Day (this year) is prime setting date for layers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nefertiti, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Please, nobody cry witch [​IMG] but based on the Almanac, the lunar signs and such as that, anytime on St. Patrick's Day, or late in evening day before, is an excellent time to set eggs. Expect resultant chicks to be some of your best layers.
    If wanting more pullets than roos, don't bother to set the pointy ended eggs..some you can't decide if the small end is pointed or rounded, but the more pointy it is the more likely it's to be a rooster.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

How cool, where did you get that? I usually buy the Witch's Almanac every year but missed it this year.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Funny thing, I sat down at luch today with the farmers almanac and came to the same conclusion.

I've got several people who want me to hatch them some chicks from my flock, been wondering if I can wait that long!

4. keystonebantams

keystonebantams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    WITCH, lol, I just had to do it.

there is no way to sex an egg.

mike

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, ye unbelievers, LOL!

Oh, poo. Do I have to get another incubator now?? Hmmm...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  6. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I didn't use a Witch's Almanac. Used a combination of a regular farmer's almanac, information from the Foxfire Book #1 (see chart in the By the Signs section), and the ancient Roman method of setting eggs 10-15 days after the new of the moon,
    Eggs that were set the 16 or 17 of Feb will be the same as eggs set on St. Pattie's Day. 20 April will good too, just not quite as.
    I know that you can really set eggs anytime you like, but chicks hatched at these times really do mature better and are excellent layers.
    While it's true some eggs are hard to tell whether they're pointy or rounded, as I said before, the sharper the point the more likely it's to be a roo.
    If you want to test this theory, set only the most pointy ended eggs you can find, and see how many pullets you end up with.

7. Moodene

Moodene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    My grandma swears by that!! She didn't let her hens sit on any pointy end looking eggs..mmm..she didn't have many roos either..[​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Wow, and all this time I thought laying ability was genetically determined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by