stabilizing temp in home made incubator HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by watersoflethe, Jul 7, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    so i built myself one of those styrofoam incubators with a water heater thermostat. i have heat sinks in there as glass bottles of water..
    but i can't get the temp to stabilize with a smaller range. the thing turns back on exactly at 95 and turns off exactly at 102 how can i get this range smaller? please help

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well you'll probably have to tell us more than that about the incubator before we can help you.

3. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Your thermostat might not be sensitive enough for a tighter range.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Drill three holes in the black casing. PM me for more info, I am not on my own computer at the moment.

5. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    My guess is that the differential on your thermostat is too wide for the narrow range you need. If this is true, there is nothing you can do, that I am aware of, that will help. It simply was not designed for the narrow range you need. You should be able to read the info and contact the manufacturer and find out what the differential is. If it is any more than +1/-1 ... I don't think you will have much success.

...not good news... I know.. sorry:hugs

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:some folks put the t-stat and heat source really close together 2-4 " apart my light bulbs are 10-12" away from the t-stat bulb but my t-stat has a 1* differential

7. Charles07

Charles07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    1. Wait 24 hours for it to stabilize

2. Make sure the thermostat is almost right on top of the heat source, the farther away it is the more fluctuation you will have.

3. Experiment with different wattage light bulbs if applicable, you want to go smaller watts before going larger

4. Get a water wiggle, this will reflect the temperature inside of the egg(s). Eggs themselves are heat sinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by