Stagger hatch...not the best idea.

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I am not a fan of stagger hatching. But here is some help if you do do this...
If you plan ahead and have 2 separate incubators this can be done. If you can keep them separate.
If you cannot keep them separate say, if you only have one good incubator, see about making a DIY incubator that can just heat up the eggs a day or so, then you can put warm eggs in with the other eggs but mark them so you know the difference.
If you only have one or 2 cold eggs you NEED to pop in incubator, (he-he-ha-ha,) then mark them separate again, and put them far as possible from the other eggs. (I would not add cold eggs with warmed eggs after day 3-5.)

I hope this helps.

What is a 'stagger hatch'? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Staggering in this case means you aren't setting all the eggs together that day and they won't all hatch on the same day. You might set 4 eggs one day and 4 days later you set 4 more, this is a stagger hatch.

It doesn't mean it will not work, but not advised. I say the first 3-5 day window mark is best, because when hens gather eggs they keep laying for about 3-5 days as the are building enough eggs. Also the theory of the more females are born with colder eggs between 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom