Staggered hatch *1egg

Pics

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
So we had our first hawk attack. One of my favorite girls. I free range them for half of the day and they have started wandering further on the property. Our Pyrenees keeps the yard pretty safe but they are wondering beyond that some now. I started my incubator Wednesday night. Well because she had died I wanted to add her last egg. I only had one or two of hers in there because I didn't know I'd never have another chance with her. So I added it less than 48 hours after I started my incubator. Is that close enough to just run it through as the same hatch?

I've read a few posts where people found out 3 days after setting their egg turner's weren't working and most people said it would be fine. So I'm thinking if it rides around without turning with me just doing it once a day by it's third day hopefully it'll have a spot in the turner because I should be able to tell if I have any yolkers on the others by that day.
If that particular egg is that much more important to you than the other eggs. Just swap that single egg in turner and do the limited turn on one of the lesser important eggs. Giving your single egg a better chance if it that important to you, that would be my option along with regular lockdown period for older eggs.

So we had our first hawk attack. One of my favorite girls. I free range them for half of the day and they have started wandering further on the property. Our Pyrenees keeps the yard pretty safe but they are wondering beyond that some now. I started my incubator Wednesday night. Well because she had died I wanted to add her last egg. So I added it less than 48 hours after I started my incubator. Is that close enough to just run it through as the same hatch?
Less than two days? It should work out, do lockdown a day later, that one will probably hatch last if it’s fertile.

What do you mean by take the chance? As in how could I mess the other ones up? Do you mean like just go with the rate as the original ones I put in?
Yes, as you stated single egg is not getting best attention and its only 1 egg compared to 22 that are being turned correctly and in better circumstances. And 2 days early will not harm your single egg. Also, higher temps will not catch up your single egg as temp will affect all eggs equally.

If that particular egg is that much more important to you than the other eggs. Just swap that single egg in turner and do the limited turn on one of the lesser important eggs. Giving your single egg a better chance if it that important to you, that would be my option along with regular lockdown period for older eggs.
@Huntmaster has a great point/ great points throughout this thread.
I admit that I’m a bit uncertain as to exactly when you set your “first” eggs in the ‘bator; I know that you said this one is about 2 days behind them.
I’ve seen development of veins at 3-5 days in the ‘bator, sooo
It might give you some peace if you candle your eggs- even if early, and see no signs of developing veining- and pull the first one that appears to not be developing, and use that spot to make room for the one that you are most hopeful for. :hugs

So it would be better to do lock down for all of them later then this one end up in earlier lockdown? Wasn't sure which part of that equation was more important
If you stop turning too early, it can impact development. I would err on the side of caution, and meet in the middle, so lockdown is not too early, and an extra day for the old ones is fine.

Also I had 22 eggs in there. So this one is riding around on the turner hoping for a space after the first candling. (Day 5 is when I can tell pretty well due to egg color) It's not keeping any of the other ones from turning but I guess I'll reach in and turn it once a day since I read somewhere else day 5 to 16 are the most important? I know it's not ideal but I wanted all her babies I could have.
And from reading this I wouldn't take the chance on 22 eggs over 1 not in best circumstances. Just my opinion.

I’m in this position too with shipped eggs because usps lost a batch so I had to set the others and then when the lost batch showed up I set them two days later. Then none developed except for one. So I have one egg with a hatch date 2 days after the others. I hope yours hatches, since you lost the mom :(

I agree with @Huntmaster. I just had a sad hatch because I delayed my humidity increase (due to having other eggs in the incubator that I didn’t want to harm.)

The eggs hatching all shrink wrapped and I had to assist all of them (6 eggs were alive when I started assisting) and only 3 chicks made it, and just barely. So yeah go with the correct timing for the majority of the eggs. I don’t think the extra humidity will hurt your single egg that is a few days behind.
Man I'm sorry, glad you were able to save a few. With her being dead hers are pretty important to me but I don't want to affect the others. Guess I'll just see what nature intends with this little one, if it's meant to be. Wish I would have known and put more of hers in there to begin with. This one's not quite 48 hours behind so maybe it'll do okay with the timing of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom