staggered hatch dilemma

mklorber

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Wildwood, MO (St. Louis)
I would appreciate any advice on how to handle a staggered hatch in a GFQ 1588 Genesis Hovabator.

Background: I have been interested in raising chickens for some time now and we finally bought our 5+ acre homestead, so hubby gave the reluctant green light. My 3 yr-old's preschool teacher asked if I would participate in a hatching experiment with her class. I bought 12+ eggs from a breeder to be shipped out on a Monday. I still didn't have them by Wednesday evening so I ended buying 12 eggs from a local source off of Craigslist. Breeder eggs finally came on Saturday
sad.png
. The breeder sent it to the incorrect address. At this point, the breeder eggs were anywhere from 5-10 days old. He said just to go ahead and put them in the incubator.

SO......I have 12 eggs due this Thursday and the other 14 due on Saturday. Any advice on how to handle the hatch? I have taken them off the turner and increased humidity per the bator instructions. The eggs are in egg cartons to help keep the hatched chicks from moving the others around (from pictures I found on this website).

At this point, the teacher and I will just be happy if we get even a few to hatch. I'm bummed because I really wanted to work with the breeder's eggs that came late.

Thanks for any helpful words.

I would appreciate any advice on how to handle a staggered hatch in a GFQ 1588 Genesis Hovabator.

Background: I have been interested in raising chickens for some time now and we finally bought our 5+ acre homestead, so hubby gave the reluctant green light. My 3 yr-old's preschool teacher asked if I would participate in a hatching experiment with her class. I bought 12+ eggs from a breeder to be shipped out on a Monday. I still didn't have them by Wednesday evening so I ended buying 12 eggs from a local source off of Craigslist. Breeder eggs finally came on Saturday
sad.png
. The breeder sent it to the incorrect address. At this point, the breeder eggs were anywhere from 5-10 days old. He said just to go ahead and put them in the incubator.

SO......I have 12 eggs due this Thursday and the other 14 due on Saturday. Any advice on how to handle the hatch? I have taken them off the turner and increased humidity per the bator instructions. The eggs are in egg cartons to help keep the hatched chicks from moving the others around (from pictures I found on this website).

At this point, the teacher and I will just be happy if we get even a few to hatch. I'm bummed because I really wanted to work with the breeder's eggs that came late.

Thanks for any helpful words.

I often have chicks hatching 2-3 days apart. I usually have to remove the first chicks when they are dried. Open the lid only enough to get your hand in to grab the chick. This should be done quickly to avoid losing the humidity. I keep a spray bottle of water handy and shoot a
spray of water in to restore any humidity lost.

Thanks! How long does it typically take to dry? Can I leave the chick in there a little longer until I get a handful at the same time?

If there are several hatching at the same time you can take them all out at the same time. I usually leave them in for several hours, sometimes overnight. If they aren't completely dry make sure they don't get chilled when transferring them to the brooder.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom