Staggered hatch in Cabinet incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Nov 21, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Do cabinet incubators allow for staggering of hatch dates?

I have 2 hovabators which have done okay, but I'm getting some more and more valuable birds, and better hatching percentages would be appreciated. If I spring for a cabinet though, I would need to be able to stagger, since I'll be starting hatches every 5-7 days during the spring.

Are they worth the money?

Any pointers would be great!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I hatch in mine every 7 days. http://cmfarm.us/cam_3.html I think letting the water tray dry up between hatches helps me but most just let it run normal.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Great to know. Now if I can just justify the cost... I'm sure I can, I just need time to justify it.

Looks like you have some fresh hatchlings yourself! I have a couple popping out in the hovabator right now. I'm kind of surprised, as I went away for a few days and wasn't able to keep an eye on temp and humidity. I'm definitely looking for a more foolproof incubator that I don't have to monitor and tweak every few hours.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I add water to mine when needed an put eggs in an take chicks out. Thats as hands on as I have to get. Mine is a old homemade sportsman clone.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Generally we get better hatches on our cabinet...But I always beat the cabinet hatches in our hovabator for water fowl because I use the mist during inc and really up the humidity so high, that I'm sure it hurts the regular hatches in our cabinet.....(Hey don't forget, I have spring eggs for you) And yes we stagger hatches all the time in our 2 run down cabinet homemade incs which reminds me I must order a new thermostat for one of them.Have a great thanksgiving!

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I run my Sportsman cabinet 'bator all year around and when a hatch is due (which is every week) I take out the eggs, candle them and then hatch in the Genesis 1588.
    I was lucky to get a cabinet 'bator but now I have chickens galore.......and loving it!

7. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Hey, that's a good idea Nadine. I suppose I can always hatch in the hovabators I already have.

I left my hovabator alone last week while I was traveling, so I was sure this was going to be a bad hatch, but it's looking like it may be about 90%. Maybe I should leave well enough alone!

Or maybe I should become an electrician, and make my own cabinet. If they were just $200 cheaper I'd have an easier time with it!

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I love my Sportsman for incubating. I add eggs at any time. On day 18 I remove them and put them in my tabletop (HovaBator) for hatch. I prefer the tabletop bator for hatching, as it is much easier to pull the chicks out from there.

9. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Bailey---I love this!!! and I love that your projects are becoming reality!

10. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Kathy, I think just for my own curiosity, I'll hang on to the tabletop model for hatching. Otherwise, I'll be opening the cabinet all the time. I'm too curious.

Yes Kristin, it's exciting how far my addiction has come isn't it!

Both of you are partially to blame! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by