1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Staggered hatch issue...due date for some day 18 for others..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jessika, Nov 8, 2008.

  1. Jessika

    Jessika Songster

    May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I finally did it. I have done all my hatches staggered...but I messed up at one point.

    I have
    1 1588 hova-bator with turner (dorkings, Blu Orps, BluexBR now)
    1 1602 hova bator (still air, no turner my main hatcher) (BR hatching but not due until Sunday)
    1 LG still air with turner (empty)

    I have eggs due to go to hatcher on Monday...but I need a little more room for surprise silkie eggs I received. I have dorking in my bator and those take precedence over the silkies...for sure.

    I have BR eggs hatching in the still air but BluexBR going to hatcher on Monday (due 13th). Blue Orps on Wed (due 15th) go to hatcher.

    Should I set up the LG to be another hatcher...and put BxBR in LG a day early to have room in my 1588 for incubating? Or should I set it up for another incubator and put new silkie eggs in there. I have a comp fan I guess I can throw it in there but my LG is soooo unreliable as far as temps go. I think it does better as a hatcher but Humidity levels are hard to deal with cuz I have no liner in LG and water goes right threw the holes in the bottom.

    So how bad is it to put them in the hatcher a day early vs putting new eggs in the LG for like a week and moving them to the 1588 when I have room......

    Which is the lesser evil...less risky...

    Thanks in advance!


  2. UrbanMama

    UrbanMama Gone Country....

    Sep 27, 2008
    Quote:I have the exact same set-up! My 1588 w/ turner is my main bator, 1602 main hatcher and the LG w/ turner is for the overflow.

    (Your problem w/ extra silkies...I would start them in the LG and transfer them to the genesis as soon as there's room. I'm actually doing that right now)
  3. Heather J

    Heather J Songster

    May 29, 2008
    I have 2 hova bator 1588s and an LG and I would start the overflow in the LG too. I struggle with low humidity in my LG, so it's the best for *starting* a hatch if the others are full, and you gotta put your most important eggs in the hova bator, in my opinion. (Not that I would consider silkies to be my least important, but that's probably only their evil influence talking.
  4. shelleyd2008

    shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

    Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It wouldn't hurt them to be put into the hatcher a day early.

    <edit> I had a lot of trouble getting the humidity up in my LG before I added a fan. You can put a folded wet paper towel in there to help with the humidity.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. pbjmaker

    pbjmaker Crowing

    May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Putting them in the hatcher a day early should not hurt them at all.
  6. Cason

    Cason Songster

    Good grief! How on earth do you keep track of all that? With a spreadsheet?
  7. Jessika

    Jessika Songster

    May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Thank you guys...sorry it took me a while to check back....I went from the chest flu/cold to the stomach flu yesterday. Tis the season....

    I put them in the LG to hold them over a few days. I wasn't sure which was worse but it good to know both ways are acceptable.

    LOL...A good calendar helps.. [​IMG] I use my Microsoft works calander and mark it all down on there...

    Ok back to bed I go.....

  8. Jessika

    Jessika Songster

    May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Well every thing is worked out and fixed.....plus I have room again in bator.


    On a side note BR started hatching on Thusday and are still hatching....I just had one pip and pip again. [​IMG] 5 day hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by