Staggered hatch & malpositioned & broken eggs

Jaslynn

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
Riverina, NSW, Australia
Hi - first time poster, long time reader.

I’m in the process of incubating eggs with staggered hatch dates (eggs confiscated from a broody mum, destined for disposal and given to me for free after a failed 2/11 hatch).
These are my 1st 4 babies with 2 x 2-week olds from previous hatch. They’re all Australorps.
3 of these chicks are lucky to have survived - one egg was dropped while preparing a lockdown zone and the shell was quite cracked. I didn’t know what to do so I put it back in the incubator and hoped for the best. She hatched very easily.
Another egg pipped at the wrong end, I thought for sure she would be an assisted hatch, but she hatched easily on her own.
3rd one hatched correctly (the air cell end) and easily.
4th one was an unanticipated pip that I found (still in the turning tray section) while moving the first 3 stooges to the brooder. I thought it would be shrink wrapped but I quickly got the humidity back up and she hatched 40 minutes later.

There’s another hopefully going to hatch soon and 5 others looking good. 5 more have a ? as I’m not sure if they’re still viable.
Despite the appearance of mess in the ’brooder’, I cleaned it just 3 hours before the photos - it looks worse in the photos than it actually is because they like flicking food (and their new dust bath) around.

A0A2C2C8-41BF-4B4D-B343-95CA2EF35BAD.jpeg E7FCF11A-3C14-4A66-B288-BA372F43A06C.jpeg EFB16711-5F46-4430-80BC-C992065B06C7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom