staggered hatch or wait

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kefiren, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. kefiren

    kefiren Chillin' With My Peeps

    I ordered from two different guys and one has gotten me the eggs early, and the other it seems may be a few days late.

    so, eggs that were all supposed to be here mid week look like they are going to be here a week apart.

    who votes for staggered hatch, and who votes for patient waiting?

    i only have one incubator
     
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Sally Sunshine

    Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

    55,485
    4,841
    596
    Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How old are the eggs you already got? and have you been tracking the others? I am so glad I have an old styro bator and the coolerbator we made, same thing happened to us. but I had the old styro to lockdown in! shweeeeeeewww Have you spent alot of money on the eggs? perhaps you can borrow someones incubator? or make a hatcher? Our coolerbator was simple and cheap... link in my signature

    GOOD LUCK!! [​IMG]
     
  3. LukensFarms

    LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

    205
    12
    83
    Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    This is hard because you don't know what quality of eggs you are getting. In my case I would probably set both eggs as they come, but I would keep the incubator in lockdown and would not open it until two days after my chicks had pipped or hatched. Then I would you remove all eggs from the first hatching and leave it in lockdown for the second.
     
  4. kefiren

    kefiren Chillin' With My Peeps

    thanks so much for your replies!

    you guys are siding with my kids to get these eggs cookin', but all i can think of is the horrible stinkies that will occur after two consecutive hatches, days apart, without a break.

    just the thought makes me shudder! what's more, i'm a newbie and a staggered hatch seems sort of "expert slope" to me. and besides:

    the whole reason i went searching for eggs was to have eggs to set on the 12th (saturday 6 days from now) for a ground hog hatch!

    for some strange reason, my egg provider and the us postal service have been amazingly efficient and here i am with eggs a week early.

    but i really don't want to get things started early.

    i think what i will do is fire up the the bator at dawn on saturday the 12th--as planned

    til then these embryos will be sitting in my cool/humid cellar and getting turned a few times a day. may the force be with 'em!

    well, another decision down. now, to decide whether to do the so-called dry hatch (which worked well for me first time, but not so great second time) or to go for something a little more like "constant medium humidity"
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by