staggered hatch question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abooth, Oct 28, 2009.

1. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi guys, I am expecting some silkie eggs to arrive tomorrow. I only ordered 6+eggs. Now I am worrying about ending up with a single chick. This is only my second hatch and the first one was only a 30% hatch. So I am wondering how late after setting these 6 eggs could I add additional eggs. I am thinking of ordering more but they would be hatching on diffeent days. Any advice? I only have one bator.

2. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    im doing the same thing right now

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't think you can do that in one bator. Reason being ... the humidity change at day 18 - 21. You need 2 incubators for a staggered hatch.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I have staggered hatches more often than not. I have never lost a hatch.

I am one of those rebel hatchers who doesnt use a humidity monitor, doesnt do lockdown and is opens the bator countless times on day 20 and 21 to see if I hear scratching on the inside of the egg.

I may lose one or two eggs in every hatch of a dozen or so but thats pretty standard no matter what you do.

Just my experience...

5. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The most time I've ever had between 2 sets of eggs that I locked down at the same time was 2 days, for the reason Kathy gave. What I did with those is simply stop turning the second set a couple of days early, then I raised the humidity and watched the hatch until the second set was done. No one suffered any ill effects from that.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    can you get a used bator or make one for your last 3 days? I always do staggered hatches but before I had 2 bators it was very difficult. but when I did it I split the difference and just bumped up humidity to about 60-65 and turned the eggs with a long stick with a rubber grip on the end that I could fit through the vent holes. I had to arrange the eggs that still had to be turned where they were reachable through the vent hole thouh before lock down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by