staggered hatch question

abooth

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Bourbon County Kentucky
Hi guys, I am expecting some silkie eggs to arrive tomorrow. I only ordered 6+eggs. Now I am worrying about ending up with a single chick. This is only my second hatch and the first one was only a 30% hatch. So I am wondering how late after setting these 6 eggs could I add additional eggs. I am thinking of ordering more but they would be hatching on diffeent days. Any advice? I only have one bator.

I have staggered hatches more often than not. I have never lost a hatch.

I am one of those rebel hatchers who doesnt use a humidity monitor, doesnt do lockdown and is opens the bator countless times on day 20 and 21 to see if I hear scratching on the inside of the egg.

I may lose one or two eggs in every hatch of a dozen or so but thats pretty standard no matter what you do.

Just my experience...

The most time I've ever had between 2 sets of eggs that I locked down at the same time was 2 days, for the reason Kathy gave. What I did with those is simply stop turning the second set a couple of days early, then I raised the humidity and watched the hatch until the second set was done. No one suffered any ill effects from that.

can you get a used bator or make one for your last 3 days? I always do staggered hatches but before I had 2 bators it was very difficult. but when I did it I split the difference and just bumped up humidity to about 60-65 and turned the eggs with a long stick with a rubber grip on the end that I could fit through the vent holes. I had to arrange the eggs that still had to be turned where they were reachable through the vent hole thouh before lock down.

Back
Top Bottom