Staggered hatch under broody?

ponygal

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 31, 2014
One of our hens went broody a little over a week ago and I thought I'd give her a few eggs to hatch and see what happened. She's been happily sitting on them, only getting up a few short times each day to eat/drink. On about day three, I noticed that one of the three eggs had gone missing - not sure whether she ate it or whether a rat took it. The next day there was a third egg in there again. I guess another hen popped in there when Maisy (my broody) was out having a bite to eat and laid an egg with Maisy's two eggs. I wasn't sure which one was the new one, so I left it in there. Three days later, it happened again....now she has four eggs, with three different hatch dates. Is that going to be an issue?? I have no idea which ones are the originals...maybe I should have marked them, but I didn't think this would happen since she's been in the one nesting box that the hens don't usually like to lay eggs in. This morning another hen kept jumping on top of Maisy, trying to kick her out so that she could lay an egg in there (despite there being an empty nesting box right next to her). I've now moved Maisy out to the chicken tractor so that she's on her own and no more mystery eggs will show up.

What now? Is it ok to have a broody hatch eggs on different days (up to 6 or so days apart)???

OK, I can do that - our last batch of chicks have just joined the rest of the flock so the brooder and heat plate are available for any new ones. If only one of the first two eggs results in a chick, will it be ok alone for a few days? And once all the eggs that are going to hatch have hatched, do you think Maisy would accept the first-hatched chicks back?

Thanks for the tip! I'll see how it goes
smile.png

I had these 2 in incubator to begin with. we lost power because of a forest fire. I gave eggs to momma hen. they were 1 week ahead of another batch. I brought these in so mom will keep sitting another week.

arguing hens stepped on some eggs just this one hatched. I put her in with the above chicks. mom is on eggs due 19/20/21 I will remove as hatched, so mom will keep sitting.. a diff hen is on eggs due the 1st sept. then I will be done.

Last edited:
My hen Penny had 4 eggs under her also. I did mark them but then over the next few days, I noticed our egg production was way down from the other girls. After 3 days of this, I finally moved Penny over and she has 15 eggs under her now.
ep.gif
Guess I'll wait and candle them in a few days and see how it goes. Little eggnapper!!!!

Back
Top Bottom