Staggered Hatch under TWO Broody Silkies

HookLineSilkie

Songster
Oct 28, 2019
San Martin, CA
Hi all, I am babysitting some young cockerels from preschool hatch and low and behold my silkies hatched out 8 chicks Tuesday-Wednesday, one more Thursday and today Sunday, there is another baby that has come out of the box. The mama hens have been out with the news chicks all week (no sitting unless it’s night) but the temps all week have been in the 90s so eggs are still hatching!!! I don’t even have the guts to look in the box because there are like 10 more eggs in there and I’m in denial. Has this ever happened to anyone? Newest baby from today is obviously not darting around like it’s older siblings and is having trouble keeping up with getting under mama hens to stay warm but like I said, it’s warm out so I guess it just might make it. Yikes. Ps. They are all Silkie crosses. Each one a little different, super cute but whooooops!!

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    777 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0095.jpeg
    IMG_0095.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi all, I am babysitting some young cockerels from preschool hatch and low and behold my silkies hatched out 8 chicks Tuesday-Wednesday, one more Thursday and today Sunday, there is another baby that has come out of the box. The mama hens have been out with the news chicks all week (no sitting unless it’s night) but the temps all week have been in the 90s so eggs are still hatching!!! I don’t even have the guts to look in the box because there are like 10 more eggs in there and I’m in denial. Has this ever happened to anyone? Newest baby from today is obviously not darting around like it’s older siblings and is having trouble keeping up with getting under mama hens to stay warm but like I said, it’s warm out so I guess it just might make it. Yikes. Ps. They are all Silkie crosses. Each one a little different, super cute but whooooops!!
It sounds like you and the hens have your hands full. I've had this happen to a way smaller degree, like just a couple eggs left in the nest and momma leaves nest with those that hatched to get them some food and water. What I've done is make momma a new nest on the floor in a medium/large cardboard box turned on its side. I put the chicks, the unhatched eggs, a small feeder and waterer right in front of it. That way chicks and she can eat and she stays right there on those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom