staggered hatches...how to keep clean

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Picco, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I put turkey and chicken eggs in the incubator at the same time thinking all were infertile. I have never witnessed my tom "doing the deed" and my rooster was taken by a predator at least two weeks ago so I really wasn't expecting anything but I wanted to test the turkey eggs and see if I could get any last chicks from my lost roo. I just candled after a week and it looks like all but two eggs are fertile and developing. The chicken eggs will be hatching a week before the turkeys. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the incubator clean after the chicks hatch so its more sanitary when the poults come out a week later?

2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I would consider investing in an incubator to use as a hatcher, or perhaps a friend has one that you can borrow for a few days... then just take the chickens out on day 18 and transfer them to the hatcher to hatch. The turkey eggs will still need to be turned while the chickens are hatching and you will have trouble with humidity losses and that could be worse than the worries you have about the sanitation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by