Staggered Hatches?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _Randall_, May 5, 2011.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I've seen the subject on here before, but haven't really read in depth. However, I'm just wondering if..................I set 120 Bob eggs on a given day, and set another 120 seven days later (in the same bator), what's the worse of consequences a fella will face while anticipating a good hatch from both setttings?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I don't have any issues with staggered hatches. Mainly because I don't up humidity. My issue is when the power goes out [​IMG]

3. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:LOL........been there twice. My main concern is, as you bring it up, raising the humidity to "soggy" the last 3 days of the first (120 egg setting). Will the 2nd bunch ........... which will be subject to the "soggy" environment at days 17, 18, and 19 ........ take on too much "water"?

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Iv ran several staggered hatches but I always moved the "lock down due" eggs to a hatcher\\bator. Will be watching this thread for education.... [​IMG] Bill

ETA: Mine were on a much smaller scale than 120 eggs per hatch. Those birds must be crank'in out the eggs now hua Randall...

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I'm gettin 19-20 a day now Bill. I saved the biggest of the crop, and I think I have 24 females. If the staggered hatch would work, I can go ahead and get my 600 or so pretty soon where they will be ready this fall.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    USE A SEPERATE HATCHER....

CHEAP LIL STILL AIR COOLER BATOR, NO TURNER NEEDED-- I PREFER THE HOVAS AS THEY ARE MUCH BETTER FOR GAMEBIRDS AND THE HUMIDITY REQUIRED. AT LOCKDOWN MOVE FROM BATOR TO HATCHER AND REFILL BATOR'S EMPTY SLOTS... 2 SEPERATE ENVIRONMENTS FOR 2 SEPERATE ENVIRONMENTAL NEEDS, ITS EASY THAT WAY [​IMG]

7. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Well, I've got the ol' trusy LG, and pondered over using it as a hatcher. But, I think I'm gonna try to beat the odds, and do a 5-day / 6-day / or 7-day stagger in the cabinet (ever how long it takes me to get a 2nd group of 120. No purchased eggs to fret over if it doesn't pan out. We'll see! (I'm a hard headed ol' codger [​IMG] )

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Well put on your white lab coat and keep us posted Randall. I would like to know how your younger eggs fair the 3 days of higher humidity. Bill [​IMG]

9. kerry 2138

kerry 2138 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Santa Fe
    I have done staggard hatches with cortnix and had no problems. But I didn't raise humidity much when hatching.

10. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:What was your time-frame between batches?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by