staggered hatching help???

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I have an incubator full of eggs, but now I have 6 more I want to add.
There is space if I hand turn them.

My question is- how will the increased humidity at lockdown and hatching time effect the eggs?

These eggs will be experiencing the high humidity days on day 10,11,12,13,14.

Is this an issue?

You run the risk of saturating too much moisture inside the developing egg which can be a high issue with overall development. Staggered hatches should be avoided, unless you have several incubators on hand. It's your call on how you want to make the best decision for this situation. Plus if it does or doesn't work out you'll acquire personal experience.

I have an incubator full of eggs, but now I have 6 more I want to add.
There is space if I hand turn them.

My question is- how will the increased humidity at lockdown and hatching time effect the eggs?

These eggs will be experiencing the high humidity days on day 10,11,12,13,14.

Is this an issue?
How old are the eggs you're wanting to add?

So you're going to open your bator at least 3 times per day during lock down to turn the newly added eggs?

I'll be honest.. raising the humidity at hatch.. is a bit over rated.. and chicks hatch JUST fine in normal humidity around 50%! (which should have NO impact on you

Otherwise you're asking about raising the humidity for 5 out of 18 days that should have been lower.. that would have significant impact.. possibly letting the embryo grow to large to turn into position to hatch.

I'ma get deeper than that.. you don't have to raise your humidity until you see you first external pip.. or sometime day ~20 instead of 18! Yes, I've acquired tons of personal experience just like the first poster suggested was possible. ;)

I prefer keeping one bator for incubating.. and set eggs 1 week apart.. every week.. and another bator for hatching.. Never change humidity.. just clean up and start again!

Please note that while many folks prefer forced air bators.. the still air ones SEEM more forgiving of any fluctuations to me.

Also.. egg color effect evaporation rate.. Are they the same or different breeds?

My following link has guidelines on how to store eggs extra long and still get viable hatches along with TONS of other good stuff. If it hasn't been shared with you already, bookmark it.. use the information and formulate your strategies.. :wee
Incubation guide

Some of our county agriculture offices offer loaner incubators.

Will you be able to devise a means of stopping the hatching chicks from playing soccer with late setters? An importantly not getting gunk all over them which quickly grows into harmful stinky bacteria in the incubator conditions and *might* cause viability issues.. Make sure to capture hatching gunk.. on top of paper towels or something that prevents it from mucking any water wells type stuff. Hope these hints are helpful! :fl

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Also.. consider getting another incubator.. 3 isn't too many for me! :oops:

Wow, excellent- thanks for all the helpful tips.

My husband is making me two more incubators.... LOL to avoid this next time.

I just get so excited when I see beautiful speckled eggs, and I think- geez- I just want to pop this one in the incubator TOO!!!!!!
LOL

I do open my incubator during lockdown- I remove each chick and leg band it when I see it coming out of the egg so I know what kind it is.
This has not been an issue for me so far. Hatches are just fine. I am doing a dry hatch right now (last one was a dry hatch and only 2 out of 24 eggs didn't pip).

I will read the link and then deice what to do. There will always be more eggs.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom