staggering pet chicken - help!

my 3 chicks

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
We have 4 pet bantams, we are new to chickens. One is now staggering all over the run. She is eating, and was fine this morning. Now she is off balance and staggering when she tries to walk. Then she sits down and seems to be panting. Please help, she is really our sweetest girl!

if she's panting, make sure she is drinking enough water. She might be staggering because A. She's young and trying to fly, or B. shes hot and dizzy?

You didnt indicate the age or breed of chicken, which can sometimes help in determining what might be wrong. Such as:
Silkies are particularly vulnerable to head injuries which can cause staggering.
Mareks disease often strikes between 6 weeks and 6 months of age.

Here is a link to a good poultry disease site. You can look for diseases based on the general symptoms that your bird is displaying.
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

keep us posted on her condition.

chel

Thanks so much for the replys.

She is about 1 yr old and has been laying about 1 egg every other day. I do have oyster shells available to her.

She is a black cochin bantam hen. If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

I seperated her until bedtime tonight, I was afraid she would be pecked. I have two runs, but only one coop, so I opened the door and she went in, the others were already roosting and just ignored her. She is still doing the same wobbly walk and falling.

How are her legs? I had a staggering rooster once and it turned out to be caused by a leg injury as found post stew. Hard to say without seeing her but maybe she needs to relax her muscles some and hopefully nothing is damaged in her legs like tendons? Good luck with her.

Is it possible that she got a hold of something? Poison?? Make sure she is drinking, and maybe some vitamins in her water...can you keep her in the house, or garage for a few days, and watch her closely? Watch her poo, her eating and drinking habits. I hope she is ok! Let us know.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help with my little chicken. She is now doing very well, almost back to normal. I think she had a hurt leg. I kept her in a seperate run from the rest for a couple of days, and now she is doing great. My 3 yr old is extremely happy, this is the one she can pet the easiest. Again - thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom