Stain/sealer for coop

dtimms

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2009
NJ
Almost done with the coop!!! Yay!!! But now I'm not sure what kind of stain/sealer to put on it that won't be toxic to the hens.

I've read mixed things about Thompson waterseal, etc. I'm not planning to finish the inside of the coop, just the outside- but that will include the frame for the run, so I suppose they could potentially peck at it.

Thanks for suggestions...

We used non-toxic out-door "barn" paint from Lowe's... I want to say a pretty large can of it was only 10 or 11 bucks and it's designed specifically for outdoor animal shelters. Down side is it only comes in three colors (green, red, and white).

I used an outdoor waterbased primer with a color base (homedepot).
It is sort of a battle ship grey. Sealed the wood and the birds have left it alone. They peck at the wire when they want me to let them out.

Last fall, I sealed the T-11 panels with waterproofing stain from Home Depot. The kind you'd use on a deck. In only one MN winter, it peeled up. Not terrible, but bad enough that I wasn't going to leave it like that. I was very disappointed in it's performance.

So instead, this spring I coated the exterior in boiled linseed oil mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. It smells nasty for a day, but it penetrates into the wood giving it a waterproof seal, a nice light stain and some protective moisture. I have used this on my teak and cedar patio furniture for over 12 years. Because it penetrates the wood (instead of putting a layer on top), the chickens have totally left it alone.

Thanks so much for your thoughts! Sounds like I don't need to be super worried about poisoning the chickens with stain since there are so many options. I'll have to take yet another trip over to Hope Depot and see what they've got available!!!
big_smile.png

Once dry, I think pretty much any wood sealer is going to be ok. You do have to make sure your chickens aren't hanging around nearby as you apply the sealer, though. The vapors of most paints are toxic to birds.

If it would EVER stop raining around here I would love to do it outside...
barnie.gif

Thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom