Stan The Man is the Winner!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by theoldchick, Jul 17, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    As soon as I realized I had two cockerels I knew I would be culling either one or both. So, as time went by, I watched the two mature. Neither caused a squabble as teenagers and my brood grew into a close knit group.

As time passed, the hormones began to change the cockerels appearance. Combs turned red and wattles began to grow. The two never fought each other so I allowed more time to pass. Stan the Man began to grow tall while Little Joe remained a shade shorter and had a bulkier frame. However, Little Joe began to display behavior I did not like to see in a young man. He'd shoot across the coop to grab a pullet by the head and drag her around. I'd snatch him up and carry him around just to intimidate him. He actually began to wait for me to pick him up. He liked being taller than Stan the Man.

While I never observed the two cockerels challenging each other, I did see Little Sister go after Little Joe who became upset when Stan the Man shared a bit of bread with a pullet. Little Joe and Little Sister went at each other like two roosters fighting to the death. I snatched up Little Joe who immediately quieted and gazed calmly about with his beautiful eyes. Little Sister followed me, squawking threats at Little Joe. The entire flock was nervous, pullets jumping and hiding, nobody was happy. And neither was I.

I made my decision then. Little Joe had to go. The hubby had a friend who needed a rooster and I told this fellow about Little Joe's girl problems and I would not recommend using Joe as a breeding rooster just because of his rather aggressive nature.

So, Little Joe is gone and Stan the Man is one happy rooster. The flock has settled and I no longer hear irritated shrieks from the gals. Stan the Man has always been more of a nurturer-he'd willingly share his food with his flock. And he has Little Sister's seal of approval.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Cute story! What do you think he's lookin for in the third pic from the bottom? LOL

[​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Handsome fella. Your story reminds me of Goofus and Gallant from the old Highlights kids' magazine...lol I like a roo who treats the ladies well [​IMG]

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Awright, Stan! [​IMG]

Your story reminds me of my two accidental EE roos this year. I've separated Moose (so that he can see and reach them, but they have lots of room to get away) because he had poor Betty so scared she wouldn't come out of hiding. Thomas, meanwhile, has started crowing and acting roostery, but has yet to beat up on the girls. (To be fair, though, he's smaller than everyone but Betty and Mags.)
    I'm hoping Moose'll settle down when he grows up, though. He's so purdy, I don't want to have to cull him. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Cute story! What do you think he's lookin for in the third pic from the bottom? LOL

[​IMG]

I think he was sleeping!

Flock dynamics are much improved today. I was grooming the horses and didn't hear the irritated squawks of pullets being dragged around by their head.

Little Joe was a good looking guy, but I don't like a man who abuses his girls.

Thanks for looking!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by