Standard bred Sumatras

Hello everyone, I found the thread haha, I'm not sure if the person I spoke to is on this thread but I have a question. They state they have Sumatras that lay blue tinted eggs. Does that mean there is something introduced in the bloodline to give that gene? Would it be bad to introduce that? I'm very cautious in adding outside blood. I've had my flock for almost 3yrs and my lines are pretty good. Thanks for any advice. I asked for some pics of the adults

We got a phone call tonight from the breeder who started my daughter on her Sumatra journey. He offered my DD his best trio of breeders, plus an extra cock to replace the one we have that doesn't seem to be doing his job right. We jumped on the offer!
He has sadly decided to switch from Sumatras to Brahmas.

I will try to get pics of everything running around here and get some input. I have too many males running around and need to figure out what to keep. I really only have room for 3 male Sumatras tops.

What may explain the blue eggs is that I have seen and heard of people crossing ameracuanas with Sumatras. Especially blues to try and help the Sumatra lacing but I have heard that the blue eggs gene is no dominate over other colors. So it may just be a weird strain that lays blue eggs or could be a gene that has been passed down from a cross many generations ago that has carried through a cross.

In my mutt crosses, the blue gene has carried over white and cream/ tinted eggs just fine. I now have polish and silkies that you wouldn't know are mixed until they lay that blue egg. I don't know if there was a cross or not in the sumatra to get the blue eggs, though I have wondered about it before myself.

In my mutt crosses, the blue gene has carried over white and cream/ tinted eggs just fine. I now have polish and silkies that you wouldn't know are mixed until they lay that blue egg. I don't know if there was a cross or not in the sumatra to get the blue eggs, though I have wondered about it before myself.
I feel that is the only logical reason. Maybe one chicken may lay a weird or uncharacteristic color but to have a whole line of blue egg laying Sumatras in my opinion can not be a true bred line of no out crossing for either a specific quality such as blue lacing, or someone trying to add genetic diversity with a new breed that happened to create a line of blue egg laying birds bred back to each other for generations to have the Sumatra characteristic but was out crossed some where down the line

But I could always be wrong since I am making my assumption without any actual knowledge of the history of this line. I am actually very interested to see how exactly and why this line lays blue eggs.

Last edited:

Here's what I found in one search

Back
Top Bottom